Blue Origin is empowered by a vision where millions of people are living and working in space. To achieve our vision, we are developing reusable rocket engines and launch vehicles that will dramatically lower the cost of access to space. Driven by our motto, Gradatim Ferociter or “step by step, ferociously,” our incremental approach builds upon each success as we develop ground-breaking spaceflight systems. We don’t just build rockets—we build a culture around methodical innovation and exploration.
Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space. Blue Origin believes it has an important role in building a road to space and lowering the cost of getting there. At Blue Origin, we’re working on this today by developing fully reusable launch vehicles and systems that are safe, reliable and affordable. Every launch vehicle is designed for human spaceflight from the beginning and able to ferry payloads to space.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of specialists, you will be responsible for creating navigation and attitude determination designs for various launch vehicle and spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of navigation system design, simulation development, performance analysis, algorithm design, hardware selection, component integration and test. You will work directly with New Shepard, New Glenn and advanced development programs to define navigation requirements, evaluate potential solutions, develop flight algorithms, and integrate the navigation hardware and software. In this role you will report to the Engineering Center of Excellence Director of Flight Sciences.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- S. in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science, or Aerospace engineering
- 5+ years of design experience in at least one navigation-related field such as: terrain relative navigation, vision or LiDAR-based rendezvous and docking, GPS-inertial navigation, deep-space optical navigation, and/or stellar-inertial attitude determination
- Demonstrated knowledge in the development of navigation algorithms and state estimation
- Ability to develop system-level requirements, decompose requirements to subsystems, perform trade studies, develop navigation analysis tools and perform analyses related to navigation for launch and space vehicles
- Highly organized and capable of planning and guiding complex technical work
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Able to identify problems, perform root cause analysis, and implement corrective actions
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- D. in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science, or Aerospace engineering
- Demonstrated knowledge in designing, testing and flying aerospace navigation systems for rockets, satellites, missiles and/or aerodynamic reentry systems
- Experience developing algorithms for inertial mechanization, sensor compensation, ground alignment, GPS measurement processing or image analysis
- Experience with inertial sensors, GPS receivers, star trackers, LiDAR, radar, or optical sensors
- Experience with optical navigation, terrain relative navigation, orbit determination, vision-based navigation or autonomous hazard identification
- Ability to continuously manage risk and be comfortable with lean software development techniques
- Strong system engineering and configuration management skills
- Experience developing embedded navigation software in C/C++ and software verification and validation
To conform to U.S. Government commercial space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, lawfully admitted for permanent residence into the U.S. (i.e. current green card holder), or lawfully admitted as a refugee or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1157-1158. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Blue Origin is committed to taking affirmative steps to promote the employment and advancement of minorities, women, protected veterans, and persons with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and federal executive orders. Applicants who wish to view the available portion of Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.