Millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
What impact will you have on the advancement of human space exploration? As part of a hardworking and complementary team of engineers, you will develop and verify inner-loop flight control applications for New Glenn launch vehicle systems. Together, we will positively contribute to all aspects of developing and verifying control software applications. Our team serves in several traditionally distinct roles: Systems Engineering, Fluids Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Software Development, and Software Verification. We build and validate engineering simulations of fluids subsystems to verify that control algorithms and software satisfy requirements. Successful team members demonstrate excellent engineering judgment and an ability to work independently with minimal direction and supervision.
We are looking for engineers to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively advance safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required and is a key indicator of a successful candidate!
- Strong engineering fundamentals; particularly in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.
- Deep understanding of fundamental controls engineering, such as frequency response analysis, stability margins, filtering, and state-space control and estimation.
- High proficiency in Simulink and MATLAB for modeling, simulation, control design, and automatic code generation.
- Practical experience in software development, including embedded C or C++ programming.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- B.S. (or M.S. or Ph.D.) in aerospace, mechanical, or related engineering with 5+ years of real project experience.
- Ability to support 40-50 hour work weeks with occasionally higher effort as required to meet schedule.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Substantial experience and success developing controls for real systems.
- Hands-on experience with high-pressure gas and cryogenic propellant systems.
- Deep knowledge of systems engineering for safety-critical systems.
- Experience with rockets, missiles, or other aerospace vehicle systems.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
Estimated salary wage (Colorado only):
Engineer – Avionics, Instruments & GNC- $82K – $137K
Engineer – Avionics, Instruments & GNC II- $99K – $165K
Engineer – Avionics, Instruments & GNC III- $123K – $206K
Engineer – Avionics, Instruments & GNC Prin.- $180K – $300K
Engineer – Avionics, Instruments & GNC Sr- $150K – $250K
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays