Supersonic is here
Boom Supersonic is a Denver-based company redefining commercial flight by bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. This historic airliner is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. The company is backed by world-class investors and has 30 aircraft on pre-order. Founded in 2014, Boom has assembled a team of over 150 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking an Aerodynamics Engineer to join the Overture team. You will be collaborating with various Boom Engineering team members to refine existing configurations and innovate to develop Boom’s future aircraft family members. Responsibilities will include executing CFD, analyzing aircraft aerodynamic performance, performing trade studies, developing and refining aerodynamic model definition, and comparing wind tunnel test results to analytical predictions.
A typical day at work would be:
- Analyzing aerodynamic data across subsonic and supersonic flight regimes.
- Perform trade studies based on weight, drag, SFC, & acoustics.
- Research existing technologies or develop new approaches to optimize performance
- Develop performance sensitivities for a given configuration
- Applying analysis results to aerodynamic databases to assess effects
- Document and present findings and proposed changes to the team and management
- Collaborating with a variety of other engineering groups (loads, propulsion, flight controls)
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering with 10 or more years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and aerospace experience
- Solid foundations in aerodynamics and aircraft integration
- Exceptional knowledge of CFD and aerodynamic optimization
- Excellent computer programming skills, with solid experience in a linux environment and use of codes – Python / Matlab / Simulink
- Strong understanding of force and moment accounting for aerodynamic databases
- Wind tunnel model development and test execution experience
- Clear understanding of certification requirements impacts on design
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering
- Effective communication skills
- Collaborative mindset
Would be nice to have:
- Advanced Engineering Degree – Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering
- Experience in commercial aircraft
- Proficient in CATIA or other CAD systems
- Demonstrated proficiency communicating complex technical results to a wide audience
- Experience in generation of aerodynamic databases
- Experience working hands-on with aircraft