About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is a Denver-based company redefining commercial flight by bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. This historic airliner is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. The company is backed by world-class investors and has 30 aircraft on pre-order. Founded in 2014, Boom has assembled a team of over 150 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking an experienced and skilled Aerodynamics Engineer to join a small, fast moving team developing a new supersonic commercial aircraft. Role responsibilities include all aspects of external aerodynamics, including handbook and low-fidelity methods, execution and analysis of CFD, wind tunnel testing and data reduction, as well as stability and control and performance calculations. Technical experience is expected in at least one of these areas and general familiarity is expected in an additional one or more. As part of the Aerodynamics group, you will work with flight controls, structures, and CAD experts at Boom.
The successful candidate will be proficient automating analysis procedures to maximize productivity for yourself and team members through scripting. But you are not merely a tool user—you have a deep grasp of fundamental flow physics. You know where the air goes and why. You will have a track record of demonstrated application of your knowledge and abilities on previous projects. While multi-disciplinary optimization is not required, candidates are expected to apply aerodynamic design principles to the design process. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate that they have applied their skills in practice, and will demonstrate best practices in each area in which they have expertise.
- A minimum of 3 years experience, including work on aircraft development
- Aerodynamic data fitting, modeling, and analysis
- Experience with shock waves at transonic and/or supersonic speeds
- A strong grasp of flow physics, not just math. Able to visualize and explain what goes on in real flows.
- Proficiency with at least 2 of the following: stability and control, aircraft performance calculations, control laws, computational fluid dynamics
- Experience with wind tunnel testing and data processing
- Script or code generation (i.e. Matlab, Python, Linux-shell, Fortran/C++, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Eagerness to work with others
- Passion for aircraft and for Boom’s mission
Nice to Have
- Experience with supersonic analysis tools and standards
- Experience with multiple CFD codes (preferentially CART3D, Overflow, CFD++, FUN3D)
- Proficiency generating grids for CFD analysis
- Experience with optimization algorithms
- Experience with aircraft multi-disciplinary analysis and optimization (MDAO)
- FAR Part 23 or 25 certification experience
- Proficiency with CAD and lofting tools
Degree and Certifications
- An undergraduate degree in Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering is required
- A master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering preferred
- Pilot’s license is a strong plus
- Base salary range for this position is $90,000- $150,000 and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position
- Robust equity program with significant upside potential
- Open PTO