Electronic Design Lead Engineer, Deep Space OBC
We are looking for a candidate to join our small design team to develop, test, qualify and initialise manufacture of a deep-space flight and payload computational platform.
You will be an instrumental member of a small team building out a full avionics stack product. The operation is new, based in Luxembourg as a spin-off of Deep Space Industries (California) and Bradford Space (Netherlands). Our team in Luxembourg will be kept small (~10 people) and will focus on the single objective of building a reliable, performing, and mass-optimised flight avionics system for upcoming deep-space smallsats and landers. You would take the responsibility for the development and qualification of an onboard computer subsystem for this stack.
The operation will aim to blend the responsible, high-quality engineering practices of traditional aerospace engineering while implementing the rapid iterative development methods and dynamic workplace culture of a New-Space style start-up.
- Strong background in spacecraft flight computer engineering
- Good knowledge of embedded computational platforms & architectures
- Practical experience in electronics design, build management, rework, and hardware testing
- Proficient English language skills
Strongly valued skills
- Familiarity with existing spacecraft flight computer systems (OBC, CDHS or OBHD subystems)
- Understanding of space hardware quality standards and the space qualification process
- Working knowledge of commercial processors (e.g. Cortex), microcontrollers and FPGAs
- Understanding of the space environment, particularly radiation and its effects
- Experience with memory technologies, management and implementation
- Working knowledge of encryption techniques and remote node security
- Past work on computational hardware and software on spacecraft
- Competent software development skills (C++, embedded C, VHDL and/or Python)
- Build-for-test design, and hardware/software test campaign development & execution
- Build-for-manufacture design experience and supplier management
- Familiarity with relevant industry standards (e.g. ECSS & IPC)
- Ability to build and rework electronics assemblies (including SMT soldering)
- Practical experience running test campaigns (TVAC, vibration, radiation, extreme temperatures)
- Relevant CAD experience (Altium or similar, and thermal FEA)
- Design, optimise, test and qualify a spacecraft flight computer system for deep space missions
- Contribute to overall avionics product design and ensure subsystem interoperability
- Develop and deploy automated test methods and equipment
- Setup manufacturing processes and procedures
- Deliver to manufacturing stage, a performing product
- Manage and maintain a development workshop and tooling
What we can offer in return
We offer you the chance to develop a completely new type of modular flight computer system that will enable a new class of deep-space missions. An opportunity to be a key part of exciting missions to the Moon – and beyond – launching in the near future. You would take on an influential role in a new, revenue-generating company, with a mandate to focus on technical design and implementation on an aggressive development schedule featuring rapid hardware iterations. The position is in Luxembourg, a beautiful, cosmopolitan and welcoming country at the heart of Europe.
Duty station: Belval Luxembourg, with occasional travel needed
We would usually expect candidates to have 3-10 years’ experience in relevant fields. The role is open to candidates of any age, gender, orientation, that have or can get work authorization within the EU.