Technologies for low-cost deep-space exploration!
We are looking for a candidate who can join a small design team to specify, develop, test, qualify and initialise manufacture a low-cost deep-space radio transceiver and ranging transponder.
You will be an instrumental member of a small team building out a full avionics stack product. The operation is new, based in Luxembourg as a spin-off of Deep Space Industries (California) and Bradford Space (Netherlands). Our team in Luxembourg will be kept small (~10 people) and will focus on the single objective of building a reliable, performing, and mass-optimised flight avionics system for upcoming deep-space smallsats and landers. You would be part of a small team developing a radio subsystem for this stack.
The operation will aim to blend of the responsible, high-quality engineering practices of traditional aerospace engineering while implementing the rapid iterative development methods and dynamic workplace culture of a New-Space style startup.
- Strong background in radio design principles and underlying physics
- Good knowledge of available radio technologies, parts, processes and techniques
- Practical experience with RF equipment, working methods and systems
- Versatility to fill a number of different roles needed in the development process as needed
- Proficient English language skills
- Working knowledge of the space environment, spacecraft radio systems, and the unique aspects of radio design in space
- Understanding of space hardware quality standards and the qualification process
- Prior experience working with ground stations or ground segment equipment
- Familiarity with modulation schemes, encoding & SDR design aspects
- Past work with high-frequency (10+ GHz) projects
- Awareness of present commercially available space radio systems and an appreciation of customers’ needs when selecting and using a radio system
- Build-for-test design, and hardware/software test campaign development & execution
- Build-for-manufacture design experience
- Familiarity with relevant industry standards (e.g. ECSS & IPC)
- Ability to build and rework RF assemblies (including SMT soldering)
- Practical experience running test campaigns (TVAC, vibration, radiation, extreme temperatures)
- Design, prototype, test and qualify radio system as part of a team
- Conduct RF analyses and optimisations
- Build and evaluate prototype hardware
- Participate and creatively contribute to product design process
- Deliver to manufacturing stage, a performing product
- Manage and maintain a development workshop and tooling
What we can offer in return:
We offer you the chance to participate in developing a completely new radio system that will enable a new class of deep-space missions. An opportunity to be a key part of exciting missions to the Moon – and beyond – launching in the near future. You would take on a key role in a new, revenue-generating company, with a mandate to focus on technical design and implementation on an aggressive development schedule featuring rapid hardware iterations. You’ll work closely with an expert in the field, alongside other energetic, experienced engineers. The position is in Luxembourg, a beautiful, cosmopolitan and welcoming country at the heart of Europe, and carries a competitive salary and performance-linked benefits