Bradford Space is a high-tech developer and manufacturer that has been innovating the space industry for over three decades. Bradford has over 35 years’ experience developing and manufacturing state of the art in-orbit systems and components. Today, this US-owned company with headquarters in New York City and operations in the Netherlands, Sweden and Luxembourg builds high performance spacecraft propulsion systems, avionics, attitude orbit control systems, microgravity workspaces, and is developing the highly maneuverable Explorer spacecraft for beyond LEO missions.
We are looking for a candidate to join our small design team to design, develop, test and qualify an intelligent transponder as part of a modular avionics stack, to communicate and locate small spacecraft beyond Low Earth Orbit. You will be an instrumental member of a small team building out a full avionics stack product. This team will focus on the single objective of building a reliable, performing, and mass-optimised flight avionics system for upcoming deep-space smallsats and landers. You would be responsible for the architecture, implementation and verification of the digital aspects of this transponder, principally implemented on an FPGA. The operation will aim to blend the responsible, high-quality engineering practices of traditional aerospace engineering while implementing the rapid iterative development methods and dynamic workplace culture of a New-Space style start-up.
- Prior experience developing digital-domain radio and/or ranging systems
- Strong FPGA development skills
- Expertise with modulation/demodulation schemes (including QSK and GMSK)
- Working knowledge of codes to improve link performance
- A previous end-to-end experience delivering a ready-to-use product
- A positive, energetic and self-driving attitude, and capable of working independently
- Proficient English language skills
Strongly valued skills
- Past work on spacecraft communications or ranging systems
- Experience with spacecraft radios, flight computers and other avionics
- Understanding of the effects of radiation on digital systems, and the mitigations available to counter them
- General embedded software knowledge (RTOSes, bootloaders) and microprocessors
- Experience with Simulink or other digital signal processing simulators/development tools
- Familiarity with relevant space industry communication, navigation and software standards (e.g. CCSDS or ECSS)
- Comfortable working with RF hardware and test equipment
- Prior involvement in spacecraft qualification test campaigns (TVAC, vibration, radiation etc)
- A love of bullet-point lists
- Participate in selection of appropriate transponder digital components (FPGA, ADC/DACs etc)
- Collaborate with lead transponder RF and others to conduct system-wide tradeoffs
- Develop, deploy, characterise and qualify the digital (de)modulation and de/encoding logic
- Contribute to overall avionics product design and ensure subsystem interoperability, particularly a high-speed data interface to the OBC
- Develop and deploy automated test and verification tools
- Deliver to manufacturing stage a performing and ready-to-launch product
- Assist on minor FPGA and software tasks elsewhere in the avionics system
What we can offer in return
We offer you the chance to participate in the development a completely new modular flight avionics system that will enable a new class of deep-space missions. An opportunity to be a key part of exciting missions to the Moon – and beyond – launching in the near future. You would take on an important role in a new, revenue-generating company, with a mandate to focus on technical design and implementation on an aggressive development schedule featuring rapid iterations. You would be working side by side with experts in other avionics domains, giving the chance to learn about other avionics subsystems. The position is in Luxembourg, a beautiful, cosmopolitan and welcoming country at the heart of Europe.
Duty station: Belval Luxembourg, with occasional travel needed
We would usually expect candidates to have 5+ years’ experience in relevant fields. The role is open to candidates of any age, gender, orientation, that have or can get work authorization within the EU. Is this you? If so, apply.