Bradford Space is a high-tech developer and manufacturer that has been innovating the space industry for over three decades. Bradford has over 35 years’ experience developing and manufacturing state of the art in-orbit systems and components. Today, this US-owned company with headquarters in New York City and operations in the Netherlands, Sweden and Luxembourg builds high performance spacecraft propulsion systems, avionics, attitude orbit control systems, microgravity workspaces, and is developing the highly maneuverable Explorer spacecraft for beyond LEO missions.
We are looking for a candidate to join our small design team to architect, develop, test and qualify key software for a deep-space modular avionics stack, and to manage a small software engineering team. You will be an instrumental member of a small team building out a full avionics stack product. This team will focus on the single objective of building a reliable, performing, and mass-optimised flight avionics system for upcoming deep-space smallsats and landers. You would be responsible for the architecture and implementation, with your team, of the critical software for this stack. The operation will aim to blend the responsible, high-quality engineering practices of traditional aerospace engineering while implementing the rapid iterative development methods and dynamic workplace culture of a New-Space style start-up.
- Extensive experience developing embedded/real-time software
- Strong C/C++ skills and proficiency with scripting languages (e.g., Python)
- Expert on embedded systems and writing/modifying device drivers and boot loaders
- Experience with real-time kernel/scheduler/RTOS internals
- Strong software development skills and knowledge/experience in software engineering best practices (i.e. OOD, modularity, extensibility, reusability and maintainability)
- A previous end-to-end experience delivering production high-reliability/high-availability software
- A positive, energetic and self-driving attitude, and capable of working independently
- Proficient English language skills
Strongly valued skills
- Past work on spacecraft control or data handling software
- Familiarity with asymmetrical multi-core SoC processors, digital signal processing fundamentals and/or FPGAs
- Understanding of the effects of radiation on digital systems, and the software mitigations available to counter them
- Previous software reliability/availability analysis work
- Familiarity with relevant space industry software standards (e.g. ECSS)
- Comfortable working with electronic hardware
- Prior involvement in spacecraft testing, commissioning or operations
- A love of bullet-point lists
- Create the software architecture for the avionics system across all its modules
- Develop key elements of flight software for an OBC product, from bare-metal bootloaders, an RTOS deployment and flight-control software applications
- Manage a small software development team, including collaboration methodologies and tools
- Contribute to overall avionics product design and ensure subsystem interoperability
- Develop and deploy automated test tools
- Deliver to manufacturing stage, a performing product
- Manage and rule the repositories, with an iron fist if necessary
What we can offer in return
We offer you the chance to participate in the development a completely new modular flight avionics system that will enable a new class of deep-space missions. An opportunity to be a key part of exciting missions to the Moon – and beyond – launching in the near future. You would take on an important role in a new, revenue-generating company, with a mandate to focus on technical design and implementation on an aggressive development schedule featuring rapid iterations. You would be working side by side with experts in other avionics domains, giving the chance to learn about other avionics subsystems. The position is in Luxembourg, a beautiful, cosmopolitan and welcoming country at the heart of Europe.
Duty station: Belval Luxembourg, with occasional travel needed
We would usually expect candidates to have 5+ years’ experience in relevant fields. The role is open to candidates of any age, gender, orientation, that have or can get work authorization within the EU.
Is this you? If so, drop us an application.