Bradford Space is a high-tech developer and manufacturer that has been innovating the space industry for over three decades. Bradford has over 35 years’ experience developing and manufacturing state of the art in-orbit systems and components. Today, this US-owned company with headquarters in New York City and operations in the Netherlands, Sweden and Luxembourg builds high performance spacecraft propulsion systems, avionics, attitude orbit control systems, microgravity workspaces, and is developing the highly maneuverable Explorer spacecraft for beyond LEO missions.
We are looking for a System Engineer to join Bradford Engineering B.V., a Bradford Space subsidiary, is a Netherlands based supplier of Attitude and Orbit Control Systems (AOCS), Propulsion, Avionics and Thermal solutions for spacecraft.
The System Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the overall design is aligned with the customer requirements. In all activities he works with the dedicated Core Team (Project Lead, Product Assurance & System Engineer). The Core Team is the direct link with all Customers, major Subcontractors and Operations. The System Engineer is responsible for all technical aspects of this.
In preliminary phases he is involved with Technical Trade-Offs and understanding the customer requirements. Once the requirements are well understood the System Engineer works with the R&D engineering departments (CAD, Structural, Thermal and Electrical) to ensure the design is well executed. As part of his activities he must support the design with various dedicated analysis.
The System Engineer is also responsible for all mechanical/thermal analysis on a project such as Thermal and Structural to show compliance towards the design, including the reporting and sharing the conclusions and recommendations with the project team.
- The assigned main tasks are but not limited to:
- Review Customer Documents and Execute Design Choices
- Managing the development schedule and associated budget
- Perform analysis and system design tasks
- Critically Review Mechanical Designs, Structural/Thermal Analyses and Electronics Design from Support Engineering
- Creating documents for the data packages for the different design reviews (EQSR, PDR, CDR)
- Support on supply chain on discussion with technical content
- Creating test procedures
- Test coordination with the Test Department
- Giving support to Production and Test phases in the project
- The SE is the contact person towards the customer during the project, when it comes to technical related questions.
- For Mechanical and Thermal Analyses SE will act as an internal general resources responsible for Mechanical and Thermal Analyses tasks involving all the present and future Bradford product portfolio
- The SE will perform Mechanical Analyses according the ESA way of working, using MSC-Nastran
- The SE will perform Thermal Analysis according the ESA way of working, using ESATAN-FHTS
- Minimum three years’ experience in a System and/or Expert Engineering role in a high-technology, multidisciplinary industry or similar setting
- The competencies required for this function are a BSc or MSc level education in the fields of Mechanical Engineering or (Aero)space Engineering.
- The following key knowledge points are of interest.
- Thermal Management and Control components & systems
- Thermo-Fluidic analysis
- Mechanical Engineering (Structural and Thermal Knowledge)
- Space Design Process Flow (EQSR, PDR, CDR, MRR, TRR, TRB, DRB)
- Analysis tools ESA-RAD, MATLEB, LabVIEW
- AIT Engineering
- Proficiency in (technical) English (C2)
- Intermediate in Dutch (B1)
- Driving license and willingness to travel
Strongly valued/desired skills
- Experience in the spaceflight industry, preferably as a satellite equipment supplier
- Knowledge on the current technology status to spaceflight components in Thermal Management and Control Systems.
What we can offer in return
We offer a varied job in an exciting industry where you play a big part, in the provision of innovative solutions for satellites on a global market.
Duty station: Heerle, The Netherlands, with occasional travel needed
We would usually expect candidates to have 3+ years’ experience in relevant fields. The role is open to candidates of any age, gender, orientation, that have already work authorization within the EU.
Is this you? If so, drop us an application.