SOFTWARE-DEFINED COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS OUT-OF-THE-BOX
At CesiumAstro, we are developers and pioneers of out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. We take pride in our dynamic and cross-functional work environment, which allows us to learn, develop, and engage across our organization. If you are looking for hands-on, interactive, and autonomous work, CesiumAstro is the place for you. We are actively seeking passionate, collaborative, energetic, and forward-thinking individuals to join our team.
We are looking to add a Mission Data System Software Engineer II to our Internal Missions team. If you are great at what you do, enjoy working in a startup environment, and are passionate about developing software for leading-edge communications satellites, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you will contribute to space mission software development from concept through flight. Your work will include software to simulate, monitor, and control mission systems including spacecraft, ground segments, and data systems. You will see your work through multiple cycles of design and flight iteration to become a mature space flight product.
As a Cesium software team member, you will work on a small team to develop space flight hardware and satellites and put them in orbit. You will be responsible for software design to include initial architecture and block diagrams, requirements definition, implementation, code review, validation and verification, and flight artifacts. You will need to identify simplifying solutions to complex problems and explain key results and decisions to the team in order to implement a maintainable and well-understood mission-level software complex.
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Master of Science (MS) or Doctorate (Ph.D.) degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 2 years of relevant experience (professional, internship, research, etc.) in full stack software development
- Track record of designing, developing, and fielding software for various projects
- Spaceflight satellite mission design and operations experience, including CubeSats or SmallSats
- A strong understanding of space missions from conception through flight and disposal
- An eye for faults, criticality, and software safety
- Experience in Python and Java
- Experience in common networking protocols at multiple levels (e.g. TCP/IP Datagrams, SCPI, HTTP + ReST, Raw Serial RS232 over UDP)
- Experience with the Linux environment (plus common GNU tools) and POSIX interfaces/interactions
- Demonstrated experience with processes for Continuous-Integration/Continuous-Development practices and common CI/CD tools (e.g. Github Actions or GitLab Pipelines)
- Familiarity with configuration management tools, defect tracking tools and peer reviews
- Demonstrated first principles thinking
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred experience includes:
- Demonstrated familiarity with spacecraft mission design including events, pointing modes, maneuver planning, operations, C&DH, communication systems, and Fault Detection, Identification, and Recovery (FDIR)
- Experience with mission software such as COSMOS, OpenMCT, cFS, F’, or other proprietary systems
- Hands-on experience with spacecraft instrumentation, subsystems, and test labs
- Experience connecting on-orbit assets with ground systems, such as AWS, Leaf Space, or internally developed ground networks
- Experience in Rust and C/C++
The salary range for this role is $90,000 to $110,000; however, CesiumAstro considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills. We also provide generous benefits and stock option packages to all our employees.
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace