It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
EUMETSAT currently operates the Meteosat Transition Programme (MTP) space and ground satellite system, the Meteosat Second Generation (MSG) and the EUMETSAT Polar System (EPS) space and ground (satellite) systems Jason-2 ground systems and a number of multi-mission facilities. The focus of routine operations at EUMETSAT is the provision, by effective utilisation of all elements of space and ground systems, of timely and reliable operational services to the users.
The EUMETSAT TSS (Technical and Scientific Support) Department provides in an integrated manner scientific and engineering support to EUMETSAT’s programmes during the development and operations phases and process assurance and project control to the whole organisation.
Within the TSS Department, the GSI (Generic Systems and Infrastructure) division is in charge of engineering, maintaining and upgrading generic ground segment functions, services, infrastructure and tools in response to requirements of operational and future programmes. In particular, the MCAT (Mission Control Applications and Tools Team) is responsible for the maintenance and evolution of all Satellites and Ground Segment M&C applications and tools. This includes M&C kernel, M&C archive, Flight Dynamics, Mission Planning functions and the M&C-related tools.
The tasks of the key person will be carried out at EUMETSAT facilities in Darmstadt but travel overseas and/or within Europe may be required for certain activities.
MAINTENANCE AND EVOLUTION ACTIVITIES
- Software development using FORTRAN, C++ and Java engineered in Windows and partly Unix environments, interacting with Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) products;
- Preventive maintenance: Support to the 24/7 smooth running of facility software applications and their operating systems and in the case of anomalies affecting operations, identifying and applying appropriate first line corrective actions ensuring that in the case of problems with applications, operating systems or COTS, that the operational configuration can be restored;
- Corrective maintenance: Investigation into relevant anomalies and solutions, their documentation and classification, with suitable, follow-up of software updates delivery;
- Evolutive maintenance: Analysis of user-driven requirements, generation of software requirements, design, implementation and verification/testing activities;
- Verification/testing activities: Generation of verification/test procedures and delivery documentation, participation in verification and regression testing activities at unit and system level, participation in factory acceptance testing campaigns and execution of on-site verification testing at integration level;
- System upgrades: Analysis, planning and management of application, operating system and COTS upgrades and reconfigurations, taking into account any compatibility issues;
- Definition and management of technical documentation and procedures in support of these activities.
- Applications support: Software and technical support to the end-users of the application software by request;
- Attendance in meetings: Participation in technical, progress and team meetings, submission of reports as required;
- On call service: On occasions, provision of standby/call-out support to operations and support to critical operations out of normal hours;
- Additional support: Provision of support to other areas and programs as required, for example, supporting the simulations infrastructure.
- Documentation: generation and updates of technical documents;
- Meeting participation: participation to technical, progress and team meetings as needed and requested;
- Routine reporting: preparation and production of routine reports as necessary;
- Contractor management at technical level: acting as point of contact with the contractor for technical discussions, review of technical documentation from the contractor, organizing periodical technical meetings with the contractor;
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING FRAMEWORK SUPPORT
- Analysis activities focused on a common software engineering framework for the GSI Mission Control Applications and Tools Team;
- Development of tools implementing this software engineering framework.
In addition to having a University degree in a relevant engineering discipline, the consultant shall demonstrate significant knowledge and experience in the area of software development.
The consultant shall have skills and experience in software development with the following:
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in the definition, development and maintenance of Flight Dynamics software applications mainly oriented to GEO missions;
- Experience with support to Operations for GEO satellite Flight Dynamics Systems showing a sufficient understanding of Flight Dynamics principles (e.g. Orbit determination, Orbit maintenance, Fuel estimation, etc.);
- Good knowledge and understanding – with working experience evidence – of space related standards (ECSS and CCSDS) related to space-to-ground interfaces.
SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT & MAINTENANCE SKILLS
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in software development and maintenance following formal software lifecycle processes resulting in multiple customer deliveries covering production of requirements, design engineering artefacts and implementation reflecting corrective and evolution software maintenance activities as well as new applications definition;
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in verification and validation process and experience of supporting testing campaigns and related activities (test procedure generation, non-regression testing, requirements verification and validation);
- Experience in being the technical point of contact for customers and responsible for application software evolution and maintenance;
SOFTWARE, TECHNOLOGIES AND ENGINEERING SKILLS
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) designing and developing software components and applications using FORTRAN, C++ and Java;
- Experience with formal software development on Windows platforms using the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE;
- Experience with development using SQL and relational database management systems;
DOCUMENTATION AND CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Good knowledge of MS Office Suite applications and experience with Documentation Management systems;
- Experience in using Configuration Management and Anomaly Reporting and Tacking tools.
- Experience with software development and maintenance of Satellite Flight Dynamics Systems and Tools based on the ESAIESOC NAPEOS (Navigation Package for Earth Observation Satellite);
- Experience in integration with Mission Control Systems based on MICONYS® software suite from ESAIESOC.
SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT & MAINTENANCE SKILLS
- Software support to users and in general to the Flight Control Teams;
- Work experience in a 24/7 operational environment characterised by high availability needs. This includes experience with on-call support to operational systems;
SOFTWARE, TECHNOLOGIES AND ENGINEERING SKILLS
- Experience in software development using the Hewlett-Packard Visual FORTRAN IDE plug-in;
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Unix Shell scripts, etc … );
- Experience with XML.
- Experience in MS VBA
Due to the variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported, the Consultant shall be able to quickly adapt to changes in assignments, manage his tasks in an efficient way demonstrating high degree of independence and autonomy, excellent analytical skills, effectiveness within a small team, good presentation and communication skills.
The Consultant shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, encouraging a friendly and cooperative working environment, demonstrating capabilities in applying principles, accept criticism and being open to discussing and share solutions with other. Moreover, is expected to actively participate, as required by the Team Leader, in technical meetings and/or periodic reviews and activity assessments.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore, consultants must be able to work effectively in this language and have an acceptable knowledge of the other.