Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen – apply today!
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking a Chief Inspector with extensive experience working within a scheduled aviation operations environment and complying with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations as well as a strong background in aircraft line maintenance and inspection. A team of Maintenance Inspectors, NDT Technicians, Technical Trainers, and Technical Publications personnel will report to the Chief Inspector. This is a full-time position as part of the VG Technical Operations team, Quality & Regulatory Compliance department, located at Virgin Galactic’s Mojave, CA test flight facility with permanent relocation to Virgin Galactic’s base of operations, Spaceport America / Las Cruces, NM.
This position is responsible for supporting the daily technical operation and maintenance program activities of the VG flying assets while ensuing compliance to regulatory and quality compliance requirements. This position functions out of the Tech Ops Quality & Regulatory department coordinating with vehicle maintenance, supply chain, engineering, GSE, facilities and flight operations to properly support all facets of the VG Technical Operations Group. The Chief Maintenance Inspector is expected to apply professional experience, knowledge, and guidance to help resolve complex problem.
- Exercise complete authority over the Quality Control Inspection, Technical Audit, Material Inspection, Inspection Program, Required Inspection Item (RII), Fuelling programs and Technical Operation’s Manual revision process
- Assist with air vehicle airworthiness requirements including compliance to applicable FAA regulations
- Work with the VG Technical Operations group in drafting and implementing standards, processes and procedures for the VG General Maintenance Manual (GMM)
- Accountable manager of the VG Required Inspection Items (RII) Program
- Participate and assist in investigations of maintenance and safety errors along with developing corrective actions to help prevent recurrence of those events
- Perform daily inspections including compliance to the VG Required Inspection Items (RII) Program
- Provide guidance and assistance to VG Tech Ops personnel on compliance and process requirements related to vehicle airworthiness
- Take an active role in directing and promoting safety and compliance with FAA regulations and company policy
- Understanding and ensuring compliance to all regulatory requirements and creating the processes and procedures that support compliance to those requirements
- Maintain currency of FAA airworthiness certificates, operating limitations and registration for VG flying assets
- Support and maintain liaison with the offices of the Federal Aviation Administration
- Ensure that flight vehicles are maintained in a safe and legal manner
- Ensure aircraft records meet company and regulatory requirements
- Identify, develop, and implement policy and procedural changes designed to ensure safety and compliance
- Establish, implement and administrate the Unapproved Part Notification (UPN) and Suspected Unapproved Parts (SUP) processes
- Coordinate with all applicable company departments as required to ensure adequate resources and support
- Manage the Display of Certificate, Privilege of Airframe and Powerplant, and Duty Time Limitations.
- Establish staffing and budgeting requirements for the VG Tech Ops Quality department
- Establish goals and objectives for the Tech Ops Quality department
- Establish, maintain, and enhance the VG Non-Destructive Test (NDT) program and department to meet VG’s current and future business needs
- Development, implementation, and execution of an effective technical training program for VG
- Provide guidance and support to ensure the release of effective technical publications that support the maintenance of VG’s flying assets
What you bring
- Four year degree in a technical field – preferably in aviation
- Must have FAA Mechanic certification with Airframe & Powerplant ratings
- Must have 10 years or more experience related to aviation maintenance
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have knowledge of computers and software: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook
- Must have good working knowledge of FAA Regulation Parts 1 through 193
- Must be willing to relocate permanently to New Mexico
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Strong analytical skills with a focus on critical thinking and business process management
- Ability to prioritize competing issue and coordinate resolutions with associated departments
- Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills. Self-motivated and can work independently while still keeping a team perspective.
- Experience in a leadership role with a FAA certificated MRO or operator (FAR Part 121, 135, 145)
- Knowledge of and experience with FAA commercial space regulations is a plus
*The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be highly organized and able to handle stressful situations
- Must be able to respond to and support the operations 24/7 as needed
- Must be able to sit/stand for extended periods – 10 hours min.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.