Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking a mid-level experienced Composites Technician (SpaceWrench) to support our commercial space operations department. The candidate must have a desire to learn something new, enthusiasm for the new space industry and be able to mix existing aerospace experience with spaceline maintenance development. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at Virgin Galactic’s aerospace facility in Mojave, California with anticipated relocation to Las Cruces, New Mexico within approximately 18+ months.
Want to know what it’s like? Check our team out!
- Assist with development of maintenance manual definition for vehicle systems and structures.
- Assist with the spaceline GMM development and definition, to include general field repair manual and composite process specifications.
- Support training program definition and execution with direct input of hands-on knowledge from the vehicles via different mediums as appropriate.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned preventive maintenance and repair work on the space flight system vehicles.
- Trimming/finishing of composite assemblies
- Assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications
- Surface prep, hand abrade and power abrasion techniques
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials per approved documentation
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and elevated temperature curing
- Making basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches
- Repairing existing composite laminate assemblies with approved process specifications and repair instructions, to include close tolerance scarf repairs.
* The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
What you bring
- Preferred to have a valid FAA approved Airframe and Powerplant license (A&P License).
- Must have a valid passport and able to obtain a driver’s license.
- Must be familiar with procedures applicable to the various phases of maintenance.
- Must be willing to travel and be on-call.
- Must be able to obtain an AOA badge.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of college level education preferred.
- Certifications or similar within aerospace, aviation.
- Graduated from a technical college or other recognized apprenticeship.
- Minimum of 3 years with layup, bonding or assembly of composites with at least 2 years of experience with composite tooling materials.
- Must have the ability to assume responsibility for proper administration of policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work under pressure and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Must display maturity of action and judgment.
- Good communication skills.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to travel 25% or more of the time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces- 3+ hours min.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40lbs (unassisted).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VG and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.