Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, build and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
Our Payload Group is looking for a (Senior, Staff) Image Reconstruction Software Engineer to help us operate, optimize, and further develop the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space. We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our earth observation payload. Our Payload group works at the intersection of hardware, software, and Product Engineering teams in the Space Systems Division. The role will appeal to candidates that are passionate about the interchange of photography, science, systems engineering, and operations.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Developing, operating and validating on-orbit image resolution metrics
- Developing, operating and validating on-orbit image sharpening, upsampling, reconstruction, deconvolution and super-resolution pipelines
- Developing, operating and validating image reconstruction algorithms like demosaicing and super-resolution for current and future payloads
- Troubleshooting image quality issues and developing long-term mitigations and improvements
- Support operating our hundreds of payloads and the development of new imaging products
- Contributing to the design and modeling of new imaging systems using filter arrays and on-board image processing
- Collaborating with satellite operations, Imaging Pipeline, HW (Optics, EE) and embedded software teams
What You Bring:
- A passion for photography, earth sciences and geography
- 5+ years experience in signal processing, camera hardware and resolution management
- Extreme proficiency in leveraging scientific MATLAB, Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux environment to imaging algorithms at scale or onboard
- Proven experience in developing and implementing principled model-based super-resolution solutions outside of machine learning approaches
- Hands-on can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Optics, Linear Algebra and Physics foundation
- MS in an EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 5+ years Solid Experience Developing Software automation for imaging pipelines
- Solid Photogrammetry, Signal Processing and Dynamical Systems foundation
- PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
- Active contribution to open source projects
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Flexible working hours / home office
- Fruit, snacks, drinks, weekly company lunch
- Office building in a central location close to Zoologischer Garten
- Onsite massages, Urban Sports Club membership, health program
- Birthday and anniversary gifts
- Volunteering benefits
- Stock options
- Corporate benefits
- Recognition and referral program
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Great Team Events
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.