Blue Origin. As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will help aerospace structures teams solve their most challenging problems via performing analysis and providing analysis consultation on a diverse array of problems, as well as the creation of analysis tools, methods, and training for use in the development of various spaceflight systems. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Detailed analysis of primary and secondary aerospace structures
- Support configuration development and trade studies
- Integration of structural analysis with loads and dynamics environments
- Improving New Shepard analysis capabilities by creating process automation tools for data reduction, model creation, strength checks, and analysis report generation
- Identification of opportunities for safety improvements and operational cost savings
- Interface with technical leaders across the company on a broad array of structural analysis topics to implement analysis methods, requirements, and policy
- Engage with designers and structural analysts in structural analysis best practices
- Maintain and report on activity and technical status
- B.S. degree in engineering and 5+ years of experience with aircraft, spacecraft, launch vehicle, or satellite structures.
- High-judgment; ability to generate innovative solutions and understand the balance between engineering judgment versus analysis rigor and when each is appropriate.
- Demonstrated experience on launch vehicles or aircraft in several of the following areas:
- Free-body diagramming for internal and reaction load derivation
- Vehicle load path definition and internal loads development
- Stress analysis of metallic and/or composite structures (shear beams, skin-stringer panels, fittings, sandwich panels, etc.)
- Fatigue or damage tolerance (crack growth & residual strength) analysis experience (hand calcs, NASGRO, VCCT, etc);
- Dynamic analysis (random vibration, shock, explicit analysis, coupled loads).
- Demonstrated proficiency with one or more of the following analysis codes: Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus, LS-Dyna, Optistruct.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Direct experience with internal loads development and model verification
- Familiarity with classical aerospace sizing methods (Bruhn, Peery, Niu, Roark, etc)
- Composite design and analysis skills in thermoset composites
- Experience performing design and analysis of in-service repairs of metallic and/or composite aircraft structures
- Experience in conventional aircraft fatigue and damage tolerance methods including failsafe/safe-life approaches, crack growth assessment, residual strength, flight loads spectra
- Experience in entire design cycle of sub-systems components including conceptual design, structural layout and analysis, electrical layout and design support, mounting, and structural test
- Experience with design of support structure and equipment mounts & zone design integration
- Experience with aerospace structural certification
- Manufacturing methods, material selection, testing, characterization & allowables development experience
- Experience in material testing
- Demonstrated process automation experience using scripting languages (VBA, Matlab, Python, FORTRAN, etc)
- Experience writing structural requirements
- Structural optimization using standard industry codes (Optistruct, HyperSizer, Nastran Sol 200, etc)
- Experience with ProEngineer Wildfire 4 or greater
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.