We're Australia's national science agency.
- Endless opportunities to grow & develop your career
- Help solve big, complex problems that make a real difference
- Supportive, rewarding, inclusive, and truly flexible environment
As a Full-Stack Software Developer, you will work in a multidisciplinary team comprising scientists, engineers, UX designers and product managers, to develop impactful technology in a range of domains. You will support the team by designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining web applications and services. These applications and services are prototypes and products that make economic, environmental and societal impact through digital delivery of CSIRO’s research and technology.
Your duties will include:
- Design, develop, deploy and maintain web applications and services using languages and frameworks including TypeScript, ReactJS, Python, Kotlin, Scala.
- Contribute to CSIRO’s engineering discipline by promoting the effective the use of software development tools, practices and culture.
- Communicate openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Making Safety Personal goals.
- Other duties as directed.
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in software engineering.
- Expertise developing and deploying cloud software.
- Expertise in at least one of the following back end languages: Python, Kotlin, Scala, Java.
- Demonstrated experience with contemporary software development tools and practises: version control, unit testing, automated testing, issue tracking.
- Varied programming language paradigms, including object oriented and functional
- Cloud DevOps and container technologies (we deploy mostly to AWS ECS)
- Message queues (Kafka, Kinesis, MQTT, RabbitMQ)
- Databases (SQL and NoSQL, time-series, administration, performance tuning, schema design and modelling, stored procedures, triggers, clustering, query design and evaluation
- Continuous integration/continuous deployment (Jenkins, Gitlab, Buildkite)
- Agile project management
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.