We're Australia's national science agency.
- Develop digital services that join genomics & medical information to empower clinicians & resolve biosecurity issues
- Apply your Software Engineer experience & knowledge in event-driven web services & front-end design skills to bring IT solutions to human health applications
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office
The Australian e-Health Research Centre (AEHRC) is the leading national research facility applying information and communication technology to improve health services and clinical treatment for Australians. AEHRC is a world-wide unique trailblazer of advanced digital solutions and covers the full spectrum from basic science to mobile technologies and digital healthcare services that are applied in clinical practice.
The Research Software Engineer will work with scientists from the high-performing Transformational Bioinformatics Team to develop novel digital services that join genomics and medical information to empower clinicians and resolve biosecurity issues. Envisioned as a point-of-care solution, the technology needs to build on the latest in cloud services and cloud computing technology to deliver speed and accuracy on unprecedented data volumes. You will use your Software Engineer experience and demonstrated knowledge in cloud-architecture as well as front-end design skills (Angular, React, Rust, D3) to help us bring advanced IT solutions to human health applications.
This position is advertised across 2 competency levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience. More detail around the difference between the two levels is outlined in the position description.
Your duties will include:
- In collaboration with scientists, design and implement innovative cloud architecture to carry out impactful research and cat19er for the challenges in the health and life science domain (fast turn-around-time and large volumes of data).
- Develop functional front-ends for web-applications for prototype demonstrations.
- Be knowledgeable about cloud services across multiple vendors (specifically AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Prepare appropriate documentation through repositories (e.g. bitbucket), project boards (e.g. trello), online communities (e.g. gist) and contribute to reports, scientific papers, blog-posts and videos.
Higher level duties include:
- Develop creative and functional front-ends for web-applications aimed at different markets (clinicians, scientists, public).
- Stay on top of newly released cloud services across multiple vendors (specifically AWS, Azure, GCP) and take ownership in applying them effectively to the scientific applications developed by the team.
- Identify market-gaps and lead development of tailored solutions to commercial impact and be involved in grant applications.
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a bachelor’s degree) or equivalent relevant work experience in in a relevant discipline area, such as Information Technology, Bioinformatics, Electrical Engineering, Data Science.
- Experience and passion for designing exciting and user friendly front-ends (Angular, Rust, D3) as well as more than one language relevant for cloud services (e.g. Python, NodeJS, Scala, BASH).
- Proven impact from developing web services on more than one cloud vendor (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure).
- For appointment at the higher salary level, additional skills and experience is required, as outlined in the position description, including experience with server-less or Function-as-a-Service (FaaS) architecture.