We're Australia's national science agency.
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, in the areas where we live and work across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Write high quality firmware and software targeted for custom DSP hardware
- Work with system designers, architects, radio astronomers and commercial partners
- Apply your experience from other domains such as earth observation, satellite communications and space situational awareness
The Technologies for Radio Astronomy program at CSIRO’s Space and Astronomy business unit (S&A) is focussed on maintaining Australia’s globally recognised leadership in radio astronomy technology and infrastructure. We operate several world-class radio astronomy observatories that are collectively known as the Australia Telescope National Facility or ATNF. We design and deliver advanced instrumentation and data-processing systems for our own telescopes, for international facilities, and even for space flight.
As a Senior Digital System Processing (DSP) Engineer – Radio in our team, you will translate high-level requirements on instrument performance and capabilities to DSP algorithms, firmware and software. You will implement them on processing hardware built around Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), embedded processors, high-speed networks, and GPU clusters. Drawing on your knowledge of DSP building blocks and your experience developing in a team environment, you will deliver solutions to complex and challenging problems. Your background in numerical simulation of signals and systems, combined with experience with FPGA hardware and firmware and embedded software will allow you to develop, test and verify efficient DSP systems that are at the heart of radio telescopes, satellites, and satellite ground stations.
CSIRO is committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplace. This role is offered on a full-time, part-time or job-share basis. Please indicate your preferences in your application.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to the development of new DSP algorithms and firmware modules.
- Develop simulation software and test-benches to allow verification of DSP modules against target hardware platforms.
- Deliver clean, modular, reliable, and high-quality test-driven source code.
- Develop tools and processes to aid in fast, reliable simulation and verification of complex, real-time DSP systems.
- Maintain skills and knowledge in the DSP field, explore new techniques and approaches, and adopt best practise for collaborative development.
- Integrate new hardware, firmware, and software with a focus on automated testing and continuous integration.
- Advise and support efforts to evolve astronomy techniques and systems for commercial application.
- Provide guidance on DSP and firmware implementation techniques.
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in software engineering, electronic engineering, or computer science.
- Experience in and knowledge of DSP theory and techniques, as well as ability in numerical simulation of DSP in fixed-point environments.
- Experience with FPGA implementation of DSP techniques using a hardware description language.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-skilled and multidisciplinary team.
- The ability to organise, set priorities, work independently, and manage complex, ill-defined problems.
Applications are open to:
- Australian or New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents
- Australian temporary residents who have the right to work for the expected duration of the term (at least to end of February 2025), with no requirement for sponsorship.
- The successful applicants will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
- We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
- We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.