Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit, and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible, and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.
Dawn Aerospace is seeking a Senior Electronics Engineer to join our dynamic In-space Propulsion Electronics team. In this crucial role, you will design, develop, and validate the electrical systems critical for our sustainable satellite propulsion products. Your expertise and contributions will enhance Dawn Aerospace’s capacity to manufacture world-class electronics for leading-edge satellite propulsion systems. Your hardware will be going to space.
As a Senior Electronics Engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Design and build electronic systems hardware for in-space satellite applications.
- Lead technical development projects for flight electronics hardware.
- Developing validation strategies and managing the execution of these plans for electronic systems.
- Working closely with various engineering teams to diagnose and resolve electronic system issues.
- Contributing to design reviews mentoring junior team members.
- Ensuring adherence to industry standards and regulations.
To excel in this role, you should have:
- A Bachelors degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering, or a demonstration of exceptional ability.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in electronics design and validation.
- Knowledge of designing/implementing power electronics including DC-DC converters, solar arrays, high current drivers and power distribution.
- Proficiency with design of analog circuits.
- Knowledge of implementing communication protocols including CAN bus, RS-422/485/232, SPI, ethernet, USB.
- Experience implementing embedded systems such as micro-controllers or FPGAs.
- Demonstrated expertise in schematic capture and PCB layout to high standards.
- Passion for problem-solving, with proven skills in troubleshooting electronic hardware.
- Strong communication skills in English, with the capability to convey complex concepts effectively to senior leadership or customers.
It would be a bonus if you have:
- Prior experience in Aerospace, Automotive, or Medical industries.
- Proficiency in developing electronics validation infrastructure or automated test equipment
- Experience designing for EMC.
- Familiarity with medium-volume electronics production.
- Proficiency in programming languages/software such as Python and C.
- Experience designing high-reliability and/or redundant electrical systems.
Additional information, if you’re interested:
A small note about you
This role calls for a keen individual who’s comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment. If you like daily routine, this might not be the best fit for you. We believe in equipping employees with the necessary tools and then letting them run their own race.
Starting off, you’ll be immersed in core engineering. However, there’s room for the right person to grow into roles overseeing technical disciplines, products, or even programmes in time. We’re on the hunt for proactive candidates who can identify the real problem to solve and work effectively with minimal supervision.
So, if you think you’ve got skills to offer but are a bit unsure about ticking every box, don’t hold back! Send in an application – your passion and potential might be just what we’re after.
About Dawn Aerospace
Dawn Aerospace is on a mission to transform the space industry through the development of reusable, sustainable, and advanced technology solutions. We strive to enable frequent, reusable, and affordable space flight, challenging the traditional economics of small satellite launches.
We are a key provider of environmentally friendly propulsion systems for CubeSat, ESPA, and ESPA Grande-class satellites. We leverage our space heritage to navigate complex engineering challenges. We anticipate a future filled with limitless opportunities in space, and we’re poised for a transformation equivalent to the leap from dial-up to broadband. Our innovative technology positions us as industry leaders, with several of our products poised to set new standards.
Winner of Emerging Business of the Year and Innovative Hardware at the 2023 NZ Hi-Tech Awards.
Dawn Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Accredited Employer with Immigration New Zealand. We value merit-based employment decisions and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Note: If you believe in your potential and relevant experience, but do not meet all the listed requirements, we still encourage you to apply.