Delivering hardware to space. Positioning satellites on orbit.
Dawn Aerospace is recruiting a radio frequency (RF) engineer to join our Mk-II Avionics team in New Zealand. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an exciting, fast-growing company in the space industry and develop world-leading technology.
This role will involve the design of the full lifecycle of RF systems for our Mk-II spaceplane, leveraging both COTS components and bespoke solutions. It requires critical assessments of engineering challenges and the subsequent derivation of suitable requirements; translating them to suitable component and full-system designs, ready for integration. Once integrated, the performance of the system shall be verified and validated against the baseline requirements.
- Design, analysis, manufacture, integration, and testing of COTS and bespoke RF systems.
- Design for EMI/EMC. Analysis and troubleshooting of EMI/EMC problems.
- Simulating RF components on a component and system level.
- Bachelors degree or higher in electrical engineering, physics, or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- 2+ years of experience working with RF communication systems.
- 2+ years of experience with electronic components and testing.
- Sound knowledge of RF principles and RF engineering.
- Experience using HF simulation software like CST, FEKO, ANSYS, or HFSS.
- Experience using PCBA software like Altium, KiCad, Protel, or Orcad.
- Proficiency in Python and C/C++
- Ability to verify and validate the performance of RF components at a system level
- Ability to analyze problems in the field of remote communication, derive requirements, and design solutions both COTS and bespoke systems
- Experience in troubleshooting using oscilloscopes, VNAs, spectrum analyzers, and signal generators.
- Proven oral and written communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals
- Master degree in relevant study
- Knowledge of plasma/space/vacuum physics, dielectric breakdown, corona discharges
- Experience troubleshooting EMI/EMC problems (including out-of-band interference) from a board to system-level
- Experience with CAD (e.g. Solidworks, Catia etc.)
- If you are reliable, approachable, not afraid to roll up your sleeves, and are excited by the opportunity of building a fantastic team, please apply using the form on this page. In your application, please be sure to illustrate examples of your best work and what this achieved.
About Dawn Aerospace
Every week we see new companies coming to market, using space-based technology in new and exciting ways we had never before imagined. Our industry is at the same inflexion point the internet was back when we went from dial-up to broadband, but there are some significant hurdles to overcome.
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.