Delivering hardware to space. Positioning satellites on orbit.
Dawn Aerospace is recruiting a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA — sometimes called UAV) pilot to join our flight operations team in New Zealand. We’re looking for someone with an adventurous spirit who can support us as we push the envelope. This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, fast-growing company in the space industry and fly the next generation of suborbital, reusable spaceplanes.
You are a sharp, precise and talented pilot. Dawn operate a range of aircraft, and you love getting out there and systematically putting our machines through their paces. While flying, you will work with our crew to ensure accurate data is collected and safe, successful missions are flown. Though commercial RPA experience is not necessary, all applicants will be required to illustrate their piloting capability through real-world or video illustration. All shortlisted applicants will be required to demonstrate their skills by flying complex, high-speed aircraft in our simulator.
If you have experience with aircraft design, flight tests, data analysis, UAV construction, maintenance, or other skills you want to apply at Dawn, this has the potential to be a full-time role. Otherwise, it will be a part-time role with a minimum of 9 paid days per month. The role will require travel and nights away from Christchurch, typically not exceeding 8 nights per month.
- Piloting all Dawn Aerospace vehicles as a part of the operations team.
- Working with engineering teams to develop aircraft systems including autonomous and other advanced modes.
- Assessing handling qualities, characteristics and performance of new aircraft.
- Simulator development including testing new designs.
- At least 50 hours flight time in large fixed-wing RPAs or 10 years’ part-time experience.
- Experience in working with multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to flexibly and positively deal with evolving project requirements and constraints.
- Ability to filter information to focus on key aspects and maintain and close attention to detail.
- Experience with high-speed, high-performance RPAs.
- Experience with the aircraft design process.
- 5+ years of experience in the design of complex aircraft systems.
- Familiarity with and experience operating under CAA Part 102.
- CAA Part 102 license.
- A pilot licence issued under Part 61, a recreational micro-light or glider pilot certificate issued by a Part 149 organisation.
- 100+ hours large fixed-wing RPA or large model aircraft pilot experience.
- VLOS, EVLOS and/or FPV experience.
- Experience flying new, novel designs.
If you are reliable, approachable, not afraid to roll up your sleeves, and are excited by the opportunity, please apply using the form on this page.
About Dawn Aerospace
Every week we see new companies coming to market, using space-based technology in new and exciting ways we had never before imagined. Our industry is at the same inflexion point the internet was back when we went from dial-up to broadband, but there are some significant hurdles to overcome.
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.