We are developing scalable and sustainable space transportation technology to become the backbone of the near-space economy. We are redefining how we deliver hardware to space, position assets on orbit and return products to Earth. We do this to serve humanity for decades to come, without harming our environment in the process.
Dawn is looking for a talented, creative thinking software engineer with a proven track record in solving challenging technical and soft-skill problems to join our flight software team.
You have agility, resilience and grit. You will be using these attributes to solve complex problems within unchartered territory – building software to autonomously, safely, reliably, and repeatably fly Dawn’s Mk-II and Mk-III spaceplanes, from any airfield on Earth.
You must have the desire and ability to work in a young company – if you want a smooth and routine role; this role is not for you. But you will have the opportunity to demonstrate extreme ownership and be part of an instrumental team.
System integration and flight testing are performed in Christchurch, New Zealand, so ideally, this is where you are located. For exceptional candidates, we will consider location in Delft, the Netherlands, or entirely remote.
- Translate engineering requirements and specifications into high quality, well-tested, flight-ready code.
- Automate all automatable steps in the development workflow, and provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Analyse, design, and develop tests and test-automation suites.
- Work alongside engineers from a variety of disciplines.
- Create technical specifications and write operational documentation.
- Consistently apply best practices.
- 4+ years of experience in software development.
- Exposure to all steps in the software development lifecycle.
- Hands-on experience with developing high-fidelity C++ on a real-time OS.
- Ample exposure to Python, Docker, CMake, git, projects managed in GitHub/GitLab (GitHub Flow), and software development on Linux in an IDE such as Clion/VSCode.
- Experience with GitLab CI/CD.
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks (Google Test preferred).
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision.
- Must be a highly responsible, team-oriented individual with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent ability to simply communicate complex information.
- BSc or MSc in computer science or related field.
- Exposure to Qt/QML, MATLAB.
- Working in a mixed environment of agile and waterfall.
- Experience with safety-critical software on embedded systems (e.g., familiarity with MISRA, AUTOSAR, etc.).
- Familiarity with a variety of communication protocols (I²C, SPI, CAN).
- Familiarity with applicable industry standards (e.g., ECSS-E-ST-40C, DO-178C, AS9100, etc.).
- Working in a geographically wide-spread team.
Dawn Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits any form of workplace harassment. Employment with Dawn is decided based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any other manner. We celebrate humanity.