Delivering hardware to space. Positioning satellites on orbit.
Dawn Aerospace is recruiting a spacecraft propulsion engineer to join our team in the Netherlands. Dawn Aerospace develops world leading in-space propulsion technology for small satellites. Innovative design and state-of-the-art additive manufacturing techniques allow for unprecedented capability for the rapidly growing space industry.
In this role, you will help shape the future of space propulsion and will contribute to the success of our customers’ missions across commercial, scientific and interplanetary spacecraft.
We are looking for highly-skilled team members keen to work in a dynamic and challenging environment. You will be given ownership of goals from start-to-finish. You must have the ability and desire to work in a very young company. If you want a smooth and routine role, this is not for you. We believe in giving you the tools you need, then getting out of your way.
Initially, this role will predominantly involve core engineering and testing. In future, there is the opportunity for the right candidates to grow into a program, product and/or department leadership position.
This role may require travel to our branch in New Zealand or to customer facilities abroad.
What you will do
- Design, analysis, manufacture, integration and testing of propulsion system componentry.
- System sizing, component selection and vendor management.
- Support mechanical, electrical, and fluid integration of vehicle propulsion subsystems including liquid rocket engines, propellant tanks, and pressurisation systems.
- Develop and execute test procedures for verification and validation of systems and components, including qualification and acceptance testing.
- Develop and execute production, assembly, and inspection procedures for components, sub-systems, and fully system assemblies.
- A degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering or similar.
- Prior experience in design, development and testing of chemical propulsion systems, or high pressure fluid systems.
- Computer aided design, preferably Solidworks.
- Test automation experience, preferably using LabView.
- Capable of working effectively as part of a team as well autonomously
- The ability to take a flexible approach and to adapt to change quickly and positively.
- Effectively and appropriately balance performance, resource use, risk, cost, and schedule.
- Fluent in English.
- Proven oral and written communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals.
What you will bring
- Manufacturing and production experience
- Experience and familiarity with space system qualification testing such as vibration, shock and thermal vacuum testing.
- Experience with working in a clean-room environment.
- Experience with pressurized systems and/or vacuum systems.
- Experience with electromechanical systems and/or embedded systems.
- Experience with MATLAB, Python, or similar.
- Computational fluid dynamics with tools such as ANSYS
- Finite element modelling and optimisation with tools such as ANSYS or Abaqus
- Project and/or program management