Redefining near-space transportation
Dawn Aerospace is recruiting a Senior Aerodynamics Engineer to join our Mk-II team in the Netherlands. This is a fantastic opportunity to contribute to an exciting, fast-growing company in the aerospace industry and develop world-leading technology.
This role gives you ownership of the Mk-II aerodynamic analysis, characterization, and evaluation. In doing so, you will directly contribute to the Mk-II program’s success as we pursue our world-leading goal of repeatedly traveling to space twice in one day. In the future, this will expand to next-generation vehicles and there is an opportunity for the right candidate to take a leadership role in building a team of aerodynamicists and experts in adjacent fields. They will be instrumental in designing, analyzing, and improving any existing and future flying vehicles for Dawn Aerospace.
- Aerodynamic design, analysis, of full vehicle configurations, from concept to detailed design and in-flight validation
- Work within a multi-disciplinary systems engineering team to optimize vehicle design
- Analysis of vehicle stability and control through subsonic, transonic and supersonic regimes
- Publication of aerodynamic performance data for flight manuals
- A master’s degree, or higher, in aerospace engineering, or similar.
- 5+ years experience in the aerodynamic design of supersonic vehicles, Expert in external compressible flows, transonic and supersonic aerodynamics, shock theory.
- Expert proficiency with aerodynamic design methods and tools such as VSPAERO, ZONAIR, ANSYS Fluent, CFX, Star-CCM, OpenFOAM, etc.
- Model verification and validation against wind tunnel/flight data (including awareness of experimental error and wind tunnel effects).
- Proven oral and written communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals.
- Capable of working effectively in collaborative team environments and by yourself.
- The ability to adapt to change quickly and positively.
- Experience with aeroelastic design and analysis (flutter)
- Proficiency in MATLAB
- Familiarity with systems engineering design methods
- Parametric design and optimization
- Experience with advanced meshing techniques (polyhedral / octree meshes), mesh adaptation, and dynamic (moving) meshes
If you are reliable, approachable, not afraid to roll up your sleeves, and are excited by the opportunity to build a fantastic team, please apply. In your application, please be sure to illustrate examples of your best work and what this achieved.
About Dawn Aerospace
Every week we see new companies coming to market, using space-based technology in new and exciting ways we had never before imagined. Our industry is at the same inflection point the internet was back when we went from dial-up to broadband, but there are some significant hurdles to overcome.
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit, and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible, and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.