Embedded Software Engineer
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit, and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible, and sustainable spaceflight technologies technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.
The role of the Software team is to ensure customers can use our in-space propulsion systems in the way they need to complete their mission.
The team operates on the interface between software, electronics, propulsion hardware, and the customer. Together with project managers we talk to customers and determine what kind of manoeuvrers and operations they want to perform with the propulsion system. Working together with the propulsion engineers, we determine what is possible and how the high-level concept of operations translate into the low-level read-out from sensors, and the actuation of heaters, valves, and igniters. We work closely with software and electrical engineers to make sure that the customer can interface effortlessly with the propulsion system.
Within this team, the focus of this position is on system level functional testing. This includes both designing and performing these tests and contribute to their automation and standardisation.
You will also work on the software configuration of these systems, and support the AIT team with various activities involving the control electronics.
- Design and perform system level testing.
- Support various AIT activities involving control electronics.
- Develop automated test setups.
- Support development of embedded flight software.
- Development of test software used to perform functional testing of custom avionics hardware (Python preferred).
- A degree in Mechatronics, Electronics, Software, or another related field.
- Experience with software development (C, Python).
- Experience with PCB schematics/pinout.
- In depth knowledge of modern control, sensors, actuators and electronics.
- Familiar with measurement techniques for temperature, pressure, flow and data analysis.
- Experience with basic measurement tools such as multimeters and oscilloscopes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals.
- Capable of working effectively in collaborative team environments and by yourself.
- The ability to adapt to change quickly and positively.
- Experience working with digital communication busses, such as CAN, Ethernet, RS-232, RS-485.
- Experience working with National Instruments equipment and LabView.
- Experience working with GitLab and KiCad.
About Dawn Aerospace
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit, and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible, and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.
The company has achieved a series of significant milestones in the past 12 months, including launching 35+ propulsion units to space and completing the successful first flights of the suborbital spaceplane, the Dawn Mk-II Aurora. Dawn was named Hi-Tech Startup Company of the Year (2020) and won the Supreme Award for medium/large business at the Westpac Champion Business Awards 2021.
Current customers include the likes of D-Orbit, Blue Canyon, Pixxel, the Indonesian Space Agency, and a large number of yet-to-name constellations. Dawn’s satellite propulsion business is forecast to more than double during 2022. Based on current units in space and in production, we’re fast on track to become the number one supplier of green-chemical propulsion systems globally.
Apply for this Job
If you think you have what it takes but are unsure that you check every box, we still want to hear from you.