Deimos Space was created in 2001 with the goal of delivering high-tech systems and engineering solutions in the aerospace field. The company currently employs more than 200 engineers, and has become one of the key players in the European space sector. The recognized capabilities of the company have made it a reliable partner beyond the aerospace sector, because today Deimos Space is a global systems integrator that supports the adoption of technologies and develops business critical infrastructures in a wide variety of sectors, such as telecommunications, transport, energy, environment, aerial and maritime navigation, and digital transformation.
DEIMOS is selecting one engineer to be integrated in the GNC/AOCS Competence Centre of the Flight Systems Directorate, to support new growth areas in Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC), and in Attitude and Orbit Control Systems (AOCS).
DEIMOS was founded in 2001 and currently employs over 400 persons over five countries. DEIMOS is a satellite operator and provider of end-to-end space systems including Earth Observation and with leading roles in Space Transportation, Active Debris
Removal, Space Surveillance, Exploration, etc. The company capabilities include mission definition and systems engineering; developing ground, space and user segment; integration and overall validation, launch and operations, commercial exploitation.
The work of the GNC/AOCS Competence Centre is oriented to the design, development, specification, and validation of GNC and AOCS systems for a broad range of aerospace and aeronautical platforms. As a matter of reference, DEIMOS’ activities cover:
- Satellite formation flying, rendezvous, and active debris removal (ADR)
- Entry, descent, and landing on planets (Earth, Mars) & natural satellites
- Launch vehicles
- Planetary exploration and observation and interplanetary Navigation
- Unmanned autonomous vehicles (UAVs, UGVs)
- Earth Observation (EO) satellites (e.g. DEIMOS-1, DEIMOS-2)
The following types of responsibilities are envisaged:
- Specification, design, implementation, and validation of GNC/AOCS algorithms, to be applied to satellites, launchers, and re-entry vehicles, among others, at the different phases of missions
- Specification and procurement of sensors and actuators for GNC/AOCS
- A recognized engineering degree (Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical, Electronic) or a related degree (e.g. Physics)
Postgraduate studies (MSc or PhD) with a focus on aeronautical/aerospace engineering and providing a solid background in at least two of the following:
- Orbital mechanics (including relative dynamics)
- Classical and modern control techniques
- Navigation techniques
- No professional experience required.
- Engineer with at least 3 years of experience in the practical application of the domains relevant to the post (relevant MSc & PhD studies would also be considered)
The position will be tailored to the level of experience and additional industrial experience would be viewed very positively.
The following capabilities are required for the post:
- Solid theoretical background in GNC/AOCS
- Good programming skills and experience with Matlab and Simulink
The following capabilities are desired for the post:
- Practical experience in aeronautical/aerospace GNC/AOCS solutions (experience in ESA/European programmes is welcome)
- Background on multivariable robust control
- Experience in multi-satellite missions and close proximity operations
- Knowledge of GNC/AOCS at subsystem level (and not only at algorithmic level)
- Good level of English, spoken and written
- Capability to integrate in and work within a team
- Autonomy and self-development
- Responsibility towards the customer and colleagues
- Availability to travel and spend time collocated in different DEIMOS branches