Deimos Space was created in 2001 with the goal of delivering high-tech systems and engineering solutions in the aerospace field. The company currently employs more than 200 engineers, and has become one of the key players in the European space sector. The recognized capabilities of the company have made it a reliable partner beyond the aerospace sector, because today Deimos Space is a global systems integrator that supports the adoption of technologies and develops business critical infrastructures in a wide variety of sectors, such as telecommunications, transport, energy, environment, aerial and maritime navigation, and digital transformation.
DEIMOS is selecting engineers in a full range of experience (junior and senior) to be integrated in the GNC/AOCS Competence Centre of the Flight Systems Business Unit, to support new growth areas in Image Processing and Artificial Intelligence.
The work of the GNC/AOCS Competence Centre is oriented to the design, development, specification and validation of GNC and AOCS systems for a broad range of aerospace and aeronautical platforms. As a matter of reference, DEIMOS activities cover:
- Satellite formation flying, rendezvous, and active debris removal (ADR)
- Entry, descent and landing on planets (Earth, Mars) & natural satellites
- Launch vehicles
- Planetary exploration and observation and Interplanetary Navigation
- Unmanned autonomous vehicles (UAVs, UGVs)
The following types of responsibilities are envisioned:
- Development of onboard Image Processing (IP) and Computer Vision (CV) chain elements as part of the GNC/AOCS sub-system making use of optical sensors (camera, lidar, …)
- Design, implementation, specification and validation of IP/CV solutions for Navigation and Earth-Observation (EO) onboard data processing
- Development of IP/CV design, analysis and simulation engineering tools
- Development and implementation of Artificial Intelligence (AI)-based algorithms for IP/CV, as well as other domains, including planning and FDIR
- A recognized engineering degree (Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical, Electronic) or a related degree (e.g. Physics)
Postgraduate studies (M.Sc or Ph.D) providing a solid background in at least two of the following:
- Image processing and computer vision techniques, covering acquisition to postprocessing, including techniques such as Image segmentation and Object tracking
- Artificial intelligence (AI) techniques, including machine learning and deep learning
- Sensor fusion, filtering and estimation techniques
- No professional experience required.
- Engineer with at least 2 years of experience in the practical application of the domains relevant to the post (relevant MSc & PhD studies would also be considered).
The position will be tailored to the level of experience and additional industrial experience would be viewed positively.
Required – The following capabilities are required for the post:
- Solid theoretical background in image processing and computer vision, and/or artificial intelligence
- Good programming skills, at least in C++ or Python
Desired – The following capabilities are desired for the post:
- Solid background on statistics
- Practical experience in image processing and computer vision, and artificial intelligence, for onboard implementation and for autonomous systems
- Practical experience in IP/CV for Earth Observation
- Experience in ESA/EC programmes is welcome
- Good level of English, spoken and written
- Capability to integrate in and work within a team
- Initiative, autonomy and self-development
- Responsibility towards the customer and colleagues
- Availability to travel and spend time collocated in different DEIMOS branches