Deimos Space was created in 2001 with the goal of delivering high-tech systems and engineering solutions in the aerospace field. The company currently employs more than 200 engineers, and has become one of the key players in the European space sector. The recognized capabilities of the company have made it a reliable partner beyond the aerospace sector, because today Deimos Space is a global systems integrator that supports the adoption of technologies and develops business critical infrastructures in a wide variety of sectors, such as telecommunications, transport, energy, environment, aerial and maritime navigation, and digital transformation.
DEIMOS is selecting 1 Project Manager to be integrated in the Romanian branch of the Flight Systems Business Unit to support new growth in the Flight Engineering and Mission Engineering application areas.
The work of the Flight Systems Business Unit includes activities in the areas of Mission Analysis, Flight Mechanics, GNC/AOCS and Avionics, development of software tools for mission engineering and flight dynamics/mechanics. This covers a diverse range of applications, from interplanetary missions, to Earth Observation satellites and missions, to launch and entry atmospheric vehicles, as well as the associated research, innovation, technology development and programme application and commissioning.
As a matter of reference, DEIMOS has undertaken European-level responsibility in a range of projects, including Launchers and Re-Entry vehicles (e.g.: DEIMOS-Orbex partnership on micro-launchers, IXV and Space Rider programmes, REVLANSYS & REVLANGNC projects), Planetary Entry, Descent and Landing (EDL) (e.g.: EXOMARS programme), Satellite Rendezvous and Servicing (e.g.: Proba3), Earth Observation Mission Design, AOCS and OBSW (e.g.: DEIMOS private satellite programmes), Mission Design and Analysis for Earth Explorer and Copernicus Missions (e.g. FLEX, Sentinel-3) and for activities covering the full product life cycle, from early design to flight and post-flight analyses.
The position includes responsibility at technical and management levels in Flight Systems, which is composed of multiple competence centers:
- System Engineering and EO Mission Analysis
- Mission Analysis and Navigation
- Atmospheric Flight
- GNC and AOCS
- Embedded Systems
The following responsibilities are envisioned, to be progressively planned and allocated to the candidate:
- Coordination with the head of the Flight Systems, and the heads of its competence centers and application areas
- Project Management of activities within the Flight Engineering and Mission Engineering Application Areas
- Technical Leadership of activities (projects and proposals) within the Flight Engineering and Mission Engineering Application Areas
- Support to commercial actions for the Romanian branch of the Flight Systems Business Unit
- Aerospace/aeronautics MSc/MEng degree or PhD, or related (e.g.: Physics, Mathematics).
- Project Manager with demonstrated solid technical background in the Aerospace Sector and in management of projects and teams with at least 5 years of experience (relevant PhD studies will also be considered).
The position will be tailored to the level of experience and additional industrial experience would be viewed very positively.
The following capabilities are required for the post:
- Demonstrated background in project management
- Excellent team management skills
- Solid technical background in the aerospace field, in areas such as: mission analysis, flight mechanics (orbital, atmospheric), avionics and GNC/AOCS
The following capabilities are desired for the post:
- Knowledge of the Romanian aerospace and/or defence sector
- Knowledge of satellites applications, launch systems, or planetary entry systems (capsules, lifting bodies…)
- Software engineering methods and techniques
- The space programme development cycle
- Experience in flight experiments and post-flight analyses
- High level of English, spoken and written
- High motivation
- Capability to integrate in and work with a team from different geographical locations
- Capability to solve complex problems
- Initiative, autonomy and self-development
- Responsibility towards the customer and workmates
- Advanced presentation and reporting skills