Deimos Space was created in 2001 with the goal of delivering high-tech systems and engineering solutions in the aerospace field. The company currently employs more than 200 engineers, and has become one of the key players in the European space sector.
The Ground Segment department at Deimos Space UK requires an experienced GIS Engineer to develop and maintain Enterprise level GIS systems for Earth Observation applications.
The chosen candidate will be involved in maintaining and improving the GIS offering within our Services4EO platform. The platform provides web services to applications using Earth Observation Imagery. For example, it helps farmers and agronomists to monitor their fields / crops using satellite imagery, UAV imagery and data acquired by tractors. The platform is involved in multiple applications like monitoring pasture in Mongolia, urban mapping in Europe and Africa, detecting environmental threats along the coast, detecting illegal logging in central America, monitoring ports around Atlantic and other applications.
In this particular platform, the engineer will be involved in scaling, and maintaining the GIS subsystem (based on GeoServer) and GIS elements of the database.
While Services4EO will be a recurrent work, the engineer will also work on any other GIS related activity using other tools like CartoDB, Esri or Deimos tools (e.g. GS4EO suite).
Most of the developments are done in Python, PostgreSQL and Java. Multiple type of satellite data is used such as Landsat8, RapidEye, Deimos-1,2, Sentinel-1,2,3, Worldview, Planet, UAV imagery and data collected on the ground are largely used too. There is no limitation regarding the type of GIS data which are used, it can include, field boundaries, road networks, building footprints, digital elevation models, geological layers.
Occasionally, the candidate will also be asked to support the business development team for activities related to GIS will be required.
- Assisting with deployments, upgrades and, and development of a scalable solution
- Monitoring, maintaining and improving services delivered by GeoServer (cache, tiling, styles, extensions, configuration, logs…), stress testing
- Design of GIS components and interfaces, deployment of GIS solutions
- Development and testing of new components ingesting Earth Observation imagery and generating products in a Scrum team using continuous integration
- Collection, preparation, conversion, fusion of GIS data to be used in machine learning algorithms for analytics
- Contribution to proposals
- Coordination with the partners who will use the interfaces to develop their application
- Coordination with the other Deimos team who develops other GIS components.
- Travel in Europe and outside Europe to support the international projects
- A university degree
The required professional experience is:
- Expert in Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Development with GeoServer (API) – ideally in an Enterprise environment
- Familiarity with scaling systems
- Experience working with databases such as PostgreSQL
- Use of Earth Observation imagery
- Work in operational environment
Other relevant professional experiences are:
- Development within AGILE teams (SCRUM)
- Web services development and technologies like leaflet, nodeJS, express, pug…
- Experience with satellite data provider platforms and API: Digital Globe, Planet, EarthI, Urthecast
- Copernicus services
- Understanding of OGC standards (e.g. WMS, WPS, WFS, WCS)
- Database requests such as PostgreSQL, PostGIS
- Python programming
- GeoServer or/and arcGIS
Useful but not necessary: Spanish
- Communication and collaboration skills
- Flexibility to work in new environments, new technologies or new types of work
- Ability to work in several projects at the same time