Deimos Space was created in 2001 with the goal of delivering high-tech systems and engineering solutions in the aerospace field. The company currently employs more than 200 engineers, and has become one of the key players in the European space sector.
The Ground Segment department at Deimos Space UK requires an experienced software developer to develop and maintain software components for Earth Observation applications running in the cloud.
The chosen candidate will be in charge of specific components (existing and future) working with other software developers involved in maintaining and improving our Services4EO platform. The platform provides web services to applications using Earth Observation Imagery. For example, it helps farmers and agronomists to monitor their fields / crops using satellite imagery, UAV imagery and data acquired by tractors. The platform is involved in multiple applications like monitoring pasture in Mongolia, urban mapping in Europe and Africa, detecting environmental threats along the coast, detecting illegal logging in central America, monitoring ports around Atlantic and other applications.
The engineer will work in a team of other experienced engineers across Europe (UK, Spain, Portugal), developing software deployed in the cloud and used by End-Users across the globe from experts in the space sector to citizens, helping farmers in New Zealand to monitor their crops, herders in Kyrgyzstan to find the best place to avoid the drought, government in Ethiopia to monitor the deforestation and reforestation, monitoring car parks in Europe to evaluate the footfall of supermarkets.
The components are processing images coming from the best Earth Observation satellites in the world, drones and artificial intelligence to extract information which is stored and distributed by our servers to Service Providers using blockchains. The Service Providers integrate this information into their application with other datasets to deliver specific service to their final users. The engineer will work in an environment of high technology with perpetual innovation.
The engineer will be working in the Deimos UK growing branch with one of the creators of the services4EO platform
- Design and develop components in python or Java as part of Services4EO.
- Deploy and maintain existing components in operational environment
- Coordinate with other engineers in charge of other components of Services4EO to insure its consistency and efficiency
- Document designs, developments and interfaces in a shared environment
- Suggest innovative approach to tackle the technical challenges
- Contribute to the roadmap of the services4EO platform by suggesting evolutions
- Preferred Computer Engineering.
The required professional experience is:
- Up to 3 years in IT-related industries, preferably Aerospace, Internet, Telecoms, Gaming or Banking
The candidate must be a generalist, capable of adapting to new languages and technologies. The candidate should have some, but not all, of the skills below:
- Python (first), and one object-oriented programming language (preferably Java)
- Knowledge Python application packaging
- Practice of Tests Driven development
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery tool chains (preferably Git stash, Bamboo, SonarQube)
- Documentation and development in a community environment (preferably Atlassian, confluence, JIRA)
- Detailed knowledge of Linux and Windows OS’s, with particular focus on secure configurations
- Agile and Iterative software development
- Automated documentation systems
Any of the following skills are desirable
- Knowledge of virtualisation, cloud technology, dockers
Useful but not necessary: Spanish
- Communication and collaboration skills
- Flexibility to work in new environments, new technologies or new types of work
- Ability to work in several projects at the same time