Deimos Space was created in 2001 with the goal of delivering high-tech systems and engineering solutions in the aerospace field. The company currently employs more than 200 engineers, and has become one of the key players in the European space sector.
Deimos Space SRL is looking for an enthusiastic and highly skilled Remote Sensing Engineer to work in the field of microwave remote sensing using GNSS-Reflectometry and Satellite Radar Altimetry. We are looking for somebody with previous experience in Radar remote sensing, and with proven capabilities to analyse satellite data to extract useful information from the data themselves, using a variety of approaches, including machine learning. The engineer will be working on a number of projects within the company, which involve the development, testing and validation of retrieval algorithms for estimation of parameters over ocean, land and ice using active (Altimetry) and passive (GNSS-Reflectometry) Radar data.
The engineer will also be involved in the preparation of technical reports, proposals, and scientific publications when appropriate. The engineer will join a small but rapidly growing and dynamic remote sensing team at Deimos Space UK, and is expected to actively contribute to the success and expansion of the team itself with his/her unique and original ideas. At Deimos, we also encourage the attendance of conferences and scientific meetings, and we publish the results of our work on internationally-recognised journals.
In return, Deimos will offer a competitive salary, a highly stimulating work environment, and the perspective of hiring the successful candidate on a permanent basis in the short term.
The post is located at Harwell, UK.
- Development of retrieval algorithms – in some cases with a machine-learning component – and validation approaches for the estimation of geophysical parameters from Spaceborne GNSS-Reflectometry and Radar Altimetry data;
- Preparation of technical documentation such as technical notes or reports;
- Generation of scientific publications as a result of the work performed;
- Contribution to the preparation of scientific proposals;
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or Telecommunications
- Proven experience in Radar Remote Sensing;
- Previous experience in the development and validation of retrieval algorithms using remote sensing data;
- Knowledge of data processing, data analysis and statistical methodologies;
- Experience with Python and/or MATLAB;
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms applied to remote sensing/earth observation;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
The interest and motivation of the candidate will also be valued.
- Knowledge of Radar Remote Sensing, active or passive;
- Knowledge of MATLAB and/or Python language;
- Experience in Satellite Data Processing and Analysis;
- Experience in GNSS-Reflectometry and Radar Altimetry;
- Experience in Retrieval algorithm development and validation for a radar satellite mission;
- Familiarity with Machine Learning algorithms;
- Experience in writing scientific and technical documentation, and in delivering technical presentations;
- Participation to proposal writing;
- Good command of English (C1 level).
- Good communication and team working skills;
- Ability to work both independently and within a team;
- Motivation for scientific research excellence;
- Ability to plan and organise the research work and be proactive;
- Open to constant improvement in all activities related with his/her work.