Descartes Labs is a geospatial intelligence company with science and technology at its core.
Descartes Labs is a geospatial intelligence company with science and technology at its core. Launching out of Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2014, we build models of the earth to power the analysis of the world’s largest physical systems. Our data science and software solutions create new sources of operational advantage for Agriculture, Consumer Packaged Goods, Mining, and Government.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
As a Sales Engineer you will be on the Agriculture Sales team, and you will help our customers grow successful and sustainable organizations. You will leverage your ability to demonstrate the technical and business value of our products and services in order to help the Agriculture Sales team close deals, landing new customers and expanding existing accounts.
- Build and deliver presentations and product demonstrations that highlight the unique capabilities of our software and services
- Provide scientific consulting to prospective clients on how geospatial data and data science can be used to solve business challenges
- Collaborate with the Agriculture Sales team to achieve revenue targets and build positive customer engagement
- Lead technical discovery by identifying the customer’s key business problems and translating them into technical solutions
- Work with cross functional teams (Science and Technology Solutions Team, Product, Engineering) to scope and define potential engagements
- Coordinate with cross functional stakeholders and lead the coordination of the contract scoping process including feasibility, crafting proposals, responding to RFP’s, and deal desk
- Attend prospective client meetings
- Generate content (e.g. sales collateral, blog posts, etc) to demonstrate the value of DL’s offering to prospective clients
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent job experience in Computer Science or Remote Sensing
- 3+ years of experience in a Sales Engineering role, preferably within the Data Science space; and/or experience in agricultural commodities trading/analysis/data/research
- Intermediate programming skills with Python
- Geospatial experience, relevant software (GDAL, Esri/ArcGIS, Google Earth Engine)
- Business acumen and an ability to see the big picture by combining an awareness of business issues, processes and outcomes, and the impact on our customers
- An organized and logical approach to solving complex problems, with the ability to look beyond the obvious and understand root causesInfluence and the ability to build credibility and relationships across all levels of an organization
- Open communication and the ability to clearly convey thoughts, concepts, directions and feelings
- Strong listening skills
- Experience with cloud computing and microservices architecture
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egoes are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directivesWe’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! Nobody checks every box and if your experience and interests match some of the above, we want you to apply.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community, where employees feel they belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.