The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering.
Are you a software developer/IT professional who has a passion for software configuration, testing and deployment? We are offering an exciting new role within our organisation where the successful candidate will help to drive and shape our DevOps approach.
You will work with an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists, using cutting edge technologies to enable science at the facility. This will involve using technologies for the testing, deployment and provisioning of a range of mission critical software. We use industry leading agile practices to help organise work and ensure delivery to our customers. As new technologies emerge and impact our systems, our engineers will have a passion for learning and understanding them, resolving issues and addressing risks.
Training will be provided as necessary. In addition to a full induction and “on the job” training, you will have the opportunity to subscribe to professional online tutorial sites, attend conferences, attend technical courses and undertake various core skills training.
Who are we?
ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. Our suite of instruments gives unique insights into the properties of materials on the atomic scale. We support a national and international community of more than 3000 scientists for research into subjects ranging from clean energy and the environment, pharmaceuticals and health care, through to nanotechnology and materials engineering, catalysis and polymers, and on to fundamental studies of materials.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced IT professional who has demonstrable technical leadership skills. You will have the ability to take the initiative and have a proactive attitude to problem solving with a thorough and logical approach. You will be able to learn quickly and share love of new tools and technologies, with the ability to work independently and within a dynamic, agile team environment.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide technical leadership in our DevOps approach
- Support junior team members and arrange training where required
- Drive the adoption of industry-standard DevOps practices across the division
- Regularly consult and work with customers to design and craft solutions that work and that our customers can easily use
- Take the lead on the use of agile tools and techniques to deliver solutions in a timely manner
- Understand and make use of the different platforms and environments available across STFC
- Deliver and support the services within the team’s remit
The below criteria will be assessed at Shortlisting (S), Interview (I) or both (S&I)
Essential Skills & Attributes:
- A good degree or higher qualification in a computing discipline or relevant equivalent technical experience (S)
- Excellent technical leadership skills including the ability to lead team members of varying experience (S&I)
- Experience of improving the delivery of software products, using industry standard tools and techniques to ensure quality, reliability and value to an organisation (S&I)
- Experience of server/machine administration (S)
- Understanding of code repositories and issue tracking systems (S&I)
- Understanding of software development life cycle methodologies (I)
- Understanding of software project management (S&I)
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence people at all levels (I)
- Ability to take initiative and proactive attitude to problem solving with a thorough and logical approach (I)
- Ability to learn quickly and share love of new tools and technologies (I)
- Ability to work independently and within a dynamic, agile team environment (I)
- Significant experience from working on many relevant projects and likely have been the lead in the success of a technical project.
Desirable skills & Attributes:
- Experience in setting up and administering Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery pipelines (Jenkins preferred) (I)
- Experience in development on Windows, Linux or Mac platforms. (S&I)
- Experience using version control system (Git preferred)
- Knowledge of containerisation & virtualisation (Docker preferred) (S&I)
- Knowledge of container orchestration (Docker Swarm\Kubernetes or equivalent) (S&I)
- Knowledge of monitoring/logging implementations (S&I)
- Knowledge of micro-service architectures (S&I)
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting-edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.