Loft Orbital's mission is to make space simple for organizations that need to collect information about the Earth. We operate rideshare satellites where multiple customer sensors are flown on a single spacecraft platform.
The space industry today is held back by long and expensive development cycles due to the need for painful, custom engineering.
Loft Orbital exists to change that. We are developing software-based products that enable us to fly any payload on any satellite bus with minimal customization required. Our vision is to turn classic aerospace engineering problems into software problems.
We are hiring a Director of Engineering to manage the implementation of Loft’s ambitious product vision and roadmap. With a product-mindset and focus on high-performance team execution, the Director of Engineering will be the glue between Loft’s software product teams, and will be responsible for instilling a culture of delivery, collaboration, and transparency company-wide.
What you will do in this role
- Work with Loft’s engineering leadership to implement Loft’s vision for our software products. You will create and execute development plans, set timelines and releases, assess risk, drive consensus on the technical approach and adjust and improvise when project elements change.
- Lead Loft’s agile development process, and will work closely with team leads and company leadership to define sprint objectives.
- Coordinate product teams across multiple offices and remain responsive to the changes and needs of Loft’s satellite missions
- Focus on both hyper-tactical program management as well as creating company-defining processes for how we’ll operate in our next phase of growth
- Communicate project status and risks to Loft’s management team
- An ability to take large, complex hardware and software projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them successfully and on time
- Prior experience as a software engineer earlier in your career, with more recent experience as a Technical Program Manager or Director of Engineering at a fast growing technology company
- A brain wired for product; you someone who loves nothing more than to roll up their sleeves and go into the weeds as much as possible
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams across multiple offices and time zones
- Passion for hiring and developing world-class talent and teams
- Demonstrated gravitas and charisma to rally a team and have honest conversations when necessary without losing trust
- Passion for scrum methodologies and tools
- Experience delivering hardware and software projects and deep experience with modern software development practices and tools