ICEYE is building and operating its own commercial constellation of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data already available to customers.
Do you know why it’s called New Space?
ICEYE is building and operating its own commercial constellation of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data already available to customers. These satellites can take images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark. Information derived from these images will help our customers understand the world better and help them make more intelligent decisions. We launched the world’s first SAR microsatellite in January 2018 and have raised $65M in financing to date.
We are a Finnish based international New Space company with employees from roughly 30 countries and subsidiaries in the US, UK and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from a range of areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We don’t listen to people who say it can’t be done : we go and do it!
To support the growth of the company, we are now looking for a Director of Satellite Operations team based in our office in Warsaw, Poland.
The Director of Satellite Operations is responsible for the safe and efficient operations of ICEYE’s fleet of satellites. The Director has the authority to execute all actions necessary to maintain payload services, health of satellites, and operational excellence. The Constellation Operations team is the center of the product ordering and delivery chain and is the interface between customer service, processing, engineering and sales. Excellent performance of the product chain is essential to customer satisfaction and company operations.
Your daily tasks:
Lead Satellite Operations
- Develop and implement processes and procedures (operator’s handbook).
- Ensure continuous operations by executing on proposed procedures to ensure high system availability.
- Ensure adequate operators and support personnel coverage by building and training effective teams.
- Set and manage the 24/7 shift operations of the Mission Operations Center (MOC).
- Manage the end to end deployment of the ground systems and the MOC.
- Manages daily operations in the MOC.
- Mentors staff on spacecraft management & provides on-going training to elevate the operators skills.
Integration and Collaboration
- Devise and execute a plan to scale satellite operations to meet future constellation management needs.
- Responsible for identifying the requirements for MOC systems and maintaining the interfaces between software and engineering teams to achieve maximum efficiency of Operations.
- Collaborate with launch team on LEOP and other non-standard cross-team Operations.
- Provide technical oversight across all aspects of Satellite Operations.
Risk and Contingency Plans
- As the ultimate person responsible for the satellite system, co-designs and leads contingency operations.
- Proposes improvements to space systems and constellation design to increase system efficiency and safety.
- Collaborates with Engineering and IT Security teams to implement satellite security, access control and change management.
- Oversees the execution of all the planned schedules and operations.
- Manage system risk directly affecting the life-cycle of the satellite constellation and cost outcome.
- Provide technical leadership for post-anomaly investigation and operations.
Your attributes that we need:
To deliver on described responsibilities the candidate must have proven experience and skills in Management, Software Engineering and Aerospace Engineering.
- Significant and proven aerospace industry or equivalent experience (8+ years) in managing operations of complex real-time delivery systems (telecom, networking, power grids).
- Proven experience in leading teams of real-time operations personnel and engineers.
- Excellent people management skills with experience of managing in a 24/7 shift and international environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take ownership of all aspects of job and take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work to tight deadlines in a high stress environment.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Proven experience with spacecraft flight software (or similar).
- Real-time flight operations console expertise.
- Operations software use, configuration and troubleshooting.
- Direct experience in command and control system configuration and operation, Launch and Early Obit Operations, sustaining Satellite Operations, and Flight Dynamics is highly desirable.
- Multi-satellite LEO constellation operations experience.
- Education/knowledge in spacecraft system engineering.
Your extra ones:
- Proficiency in Python.
Our perks and benefits:
- A job that matters.
- A dynamic new-space environment with a start-up vibe and a scale-up approach.
- Space for self-development, research time, training, conferences or certification schemes.
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment.
- An extremely motivated team of top-tier engineers and commercial operations to work with.
- Inspiring and collaborating open space area and silent working space for satellite operators enabling focus.
- Private medical healthcare, Multisport card.
- Relocation support (flight tickets, two week accommodation, relocation buddy program).
- Internal events for employees on a regular basis (e.g. sports events, team-building events, parties etc.).
- A wide variety of best coffee, tea, fruit and snacks to accompany your daily space mission.
Unleash your potential with us and join our next space mission coming up soon!
We are looking forward to receiving your application in English until 28 February 2020.
Privacy Notice to Job Applicant
Please note that in accordance with ICEYE policy, voluntary consent for background checks is required for individuals being considered for employment globally.