Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Electrical Engineer with strong capabilities in board and system design. The individual will be responsible for component selection, subsystem architecture definition, development, and integration into next generation satellite designs. Must be comfortable from schematic entry, board design and electrical validation of the design. The position offers an incredible opportunity to work with and learn from industry experts across disciplines, while directly contributing to end design and system performance. The engineer must be self-driven and passionate about technology and agile aerospace design.
The Must Haves:
- A passion for electronics
- 5+ years on the job experience
- Proven track record of developing electronics throughout product cycle: from Requirements negotiation, to Architecture definition, Design, Validation and Production
- Architectural definition and system performance analysis
- Define electrical component requirements based on overall system performance requirements
- Lead cross-functional collaboration and design
- Experience developing electronics with:
- SOC’s, microcontrollers, microprocessors (ARM), FPGA’s
- Processor peripheral interfaces (USB, I2C, SPI, storage, high speed serial I/F’s, PCI-Express, MIPI, LVDS, SDI)
- Design for high speed signal integrity and Class B EMC
- Power supply design and power integrity
- Battery pack and solar powered charger designs
- Sensors and integration into products
- Analog electrical design
- Strong working knowledge of best practices for PCB & FPC layout and fabrication
- Experience in taking designs from schematic design through manufacturing
- Experience with bring-up, debug, and validation of digital designs
- Experience with lab equipment, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and multimeters
- Ability to quickly pick up and own new concepts and to contribute with innovative solutions
- Comfortable with writing bring-up code and data mining in C or Python
- Sound judgment and deep understanding of system-level impact of design choices
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Thorough, disciplined, methodical, with good documentation habits
- Demonstrates best-practice design methodologies to achieve high performance designs
- Ability to perform simple mechanical assembly for quick prototypes
- Experience with RF design and layout
- Medium scale high mix, low volume, high margin and/or mass manufacturing experience
- Comfortable building proof-of-concept design and initial prototype hardware
- Conduct PCB Layout
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.