Electro Optic Systems (EOS) Space Systems is focused on the design, manufacture and delivery of electro optic systems which enhance and support orbital data services to the space industry. Since 1983 we have developed systems for astrodynamic analysis, ground to space tracking of orbiting bodies and satellite laser ranging. This heritage allows for the development of new technologies in support of space assets and debris management, including orbit maintenance support. Our Australian designs include high accuracy beam director telescopes, laser systems, imaging systems and pico-second time interval systems. We develop and integrate fully autonomous software control for space sensor networks and provide space domain awareness, object characterisation, space object cataloguing, high accuracy orbit determination and orbital projection, and conjunction assessments.
EOS Space Systems is a subsidiary of Electro Optics Systems (ASX:EOS) which has achieved rapid growth over recent years. EOS is an equal opportunity employer and we offer flexible work arrangements, flexible hours, paid parental leave, employee incentive scheme and additional annual leave.
About the Role
We are looking for laser designers with a strong practical focus. We work in pulsed high energy lasers, high power CW lasers, and exotic wavelength lasers. Bench models, pre-production prototypes and production lasers are all designed based on contract requirements. Robust stability for mobile solutions may be required at times.
This role relates to research and development, but is required to work in an operations (contract deliverables) environment at times. General guidance is provided as procedures according to our ISO9001:2015 certified methods.
Environments may be harsh or benign, and a systems approach is well regarded during observatory project completion. Some night work will be required and some travel to our national and international sites. Primary duties will include:
- Develop new laser systems to support a variety of laser ranging, laser guide star or other ground to space objectives.
- Assist the efforts of colleagues where education or experience allows any significant contribution or added value. This will be valued as a team oriented approach.
- Support the Engineering team and ensure that colleagues remain aware of design activities.
You are someone who likes to work cooperatively and collaboratively; you communicate well, and are able to support the efforts of others. You will be detail and solution oriented, with an adaptable approach. You will ideally be able to demonstrate:
- Degree qualification in laser physics, photonics or similar discipline is essential
- Qualified in design and evaluation of analogue and digital electronics
- Experience with designing, assembling and aligning laser optics
- Must be able eligible to undergo security vetting if required
Some additional experience that would be an advantage in this role includes any of the following:
- Opto-mechanical design
- Laser gain media operation, thermal and mechanical characteristics
- Cooling systems design and operation
- Optical alignment design and sensitivity analysis
- Optical coatings design and performance characteristics
- If you have some of these skills, and the desire and aptitude to learn more, we want to hear from you.
With multiple positions available up to senior level, EOS Space Systems can also offer employment sponsorship and relocation assistance to Australia if needed for the right candidate.
How to Apply
If you are willing to take on a challenge and want to make a contribution to a proud Australian company that is growing rapidly then we would like to hear from you. Please forward your resume and a covering letter outlining your experience and why you believe you are the right fit for our organisation.
We may review, short-list and/or conduct interviews for this role prior to the closing date. We encourage the submission of early applications.