Australian Precision, Global Reach. We See Further.
Electro Optic Systems (EOS) is an ASX-listed Australian technology company operating in the defence, space and communications sectors. We develop and produce world-leading technology to enhance the security and prosperity of Australia and its allies.
Our products incorporate advanced electro-optic applications based on EOS core technologies in software, laser, electronics, optronics, gimbals, telescopes and beam directors, and other precision mechanisms. Headquartered in Canberra and with a growing global workforce, EOS is experiencing exponential growth across all its business divisions and is well placed to become Australia’s leading defence and aerospace exporter.
EOS Defence Systems develops and produces remotely controlled weapon systems and ancillary products. These systems, which are adaptable to suit a range of weapon inventories, comprise state-of-the-art gimbal mounts, fire control systems and world-class sensor units. We pride ourselves on being a trusted weapon systems provider the Australian Defence Force, ensuring the safety of Australia, and we export our homegrown technology to allies across the world. We strive to help our people to achieve their professional goals and engage them in challenging and inspiring projects that shape our future.
About the role
The Optics Engineer is part of the Defence Systems engineering team based in Melbourne. In this role, you will apply theoretical knowledge, systematic design methodology and practical experience to specifying, conceptualising, designing, assembling, testing and integration of optical assemblies for electro optic (EO) systems. You will act as a subject matter expert to other engineering disciplines and stakeholders within EOS regarding optical systems. You will also contribute to the introduction of new designs and products into manufacture. The activities will cover the entire product lifecycle.
In this position you will work closely with other engineering disciplines to achieve tight integration and coherence of engineering solutions to deliver results and high-quality projects for the organisation. Duties will include:
- Perform conceptual, preliminary and detailed design of optical systems (daylight and thermal imaging) and laser systems associated optical subsystems
- Model optical system performance
- Document designs including calculations, design options and decisions
- Develop processing algorithms for daylight and thermal imaging sensors, radiometric applications, calibration etc.
- Perform test, evaluation, characterisation, verification & validation of optical subsystems in collaboration with test engineers
To be successful in the role you will be organised and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. You will also need to exude drive for excellence in engineering whilst also maintaining a high degree of attention to detail.
- Degree qualification in physics, engineering or other relevant discipline
- Robust understanding of optical and laser physics
- Experience with daylight and infrared imaging or visible and infrared laser systems
- Experience in a defence engineering environment would be advantageous
Culture and benefits
- EOS employ over 500 employees across the globe and considered industry leaders within the defence industry.
- Great culture and friendly work environment
- Fantastic employee rewards
- Excellent opportunities for career progression
- Competitive salary