At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a EMC/RF Engineer, Avionics. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Review electrical and mechanical designs for compliance with EMC and Space Environments designs.
- Write and execute test plans for Avionics, RF, and Instrumentation hardware developed by VO.
- Continue to develop RF and electrical design, test, and analysis skills on-the-job.
- Identify and document launch vehicle system susceptibilities to electromagnetic and space environments, including HIRF, lightning, EMI, and ionizing radiation.
- Collaborate with electrical and mechanical design engineers to develop hardware within EMC specs.
- Define and validate vehicle electrical bonding/grounding/shielding specs.
What you bring
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering / Robotics / Physics, or any with very strong background in electronics
- Hands-on experience working with electrical hardware and test equipment including oscilloscopes, signal/spectrum analyzers, and network analyzers.
- Basic circuit component knowledge, including MOSFET, DC-DC regulator ICs, FPGAs, memories.
- Ability to read in detail circuit and wiring block diagrams & schematics
- Ability to “drink from the firehose” and thrive in a complex, fast-paced environment.
…and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Masters or Ph.D. in electrical engineering, RF circuit or Antenna design, or applied electromagnetics.
- Experience designing power supplies or voltage/current regulators.
- Experience with transmission line and antenna design.
- Experience with test planning for launch vehicles, space vehicles, or aircraft.
- Scripting experience in MATLAB, Python, or C/C++ for numerical simulation or data analysis
- Experience in circuit design and PCBA layout
- Test automation experience in LabView, Python, or TILE!
- Completed coursework in Engineering/Science ethics.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.