Dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users.
Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen – apply today!
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You must work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You must also communicate clearly and be both confident and persuasive. It is essential that you maintain the highest level of integrity and understand the requirements for complete confidentiality.
Who you are
Virgin Galactic has established a comprehensible emergency response program. Our program is based on FAA and NTSB regulations as well as industry best practices and lessons learned. The dedication of Virgin Galactic Leadership to emergency preparedness will allow us to continue to improve our process and to become an industry leader in emergency response. With the proper support, skills, and dedication our Manager of Emergency Preparedness will ensure Virgin Galactic remains compliant and exceeds the mandated support required for passengers.
Ensure Virgin Galactic has a robust, well trained, and exercised comprehensive Emergency Response Plan for use during emergencies and serious events that will provide a plan for continuity of operations and provide team members, passengers, survivors, and family members the support they need in the event of a disaster.
- Serves as the focal point for the on-going management and development of the Company’s Emergency Operations Plan
- Oversee and lead further development and editing of all Virgin Galactic Emergency Response Manuals and Plans
- Ensure regulatory compliance for Emergency Response
- Develop an “All Hazards” response plan to address other serious events VG may encounter
- Develop and coordinate throughout all areas of Virgin Galactic a comprehensive Business Continuity Plan
- Manage and develop the Virgin Galactic Family Assistance Plan including coordination with NTSB Disaster Assistance Team
- Project manage and direct work scope for Emergency Response Team Trainer(s), Safety/ER Coordinator (on special assignment), and other Emergency Response Special Assignment Project Specialists. Develop curriculum and implementing training for the Go Team, and Incident Management & Onsite Support Teams
- Develop, plan, and execute quarterly emergency response training, drills, and exercises for all levels (individual teams, HDQ leaders, and larger full-scale drills)
- Work closely with Company and departmental leadership and from all frontline work groups in order to ensure emergency preparedness
- Interface with industry counterparts and represent Virgin Galactic at industry related events to ensure best practices are utilized.
- Partner with other departments, Third Party Response Partners, regulatory agencies, and other organizations to establish and support processes that result in comprehensive plans necessary for a coordinated response
- Provide updates and guidance to Leadership for updates, projects, and open items
- Oversee automated incident and accident notification system
- Implement new procedures to improve emergency response and preparedness
- Review and audit response plans and programs
- Act as Virgin Galactic liaison to the NTSB, DOD, Red Cross , DOT and other government and industry representatives with regard to Disaster planning and assistance
- Oversee and maintain Emergency Response intranet web pages for Go Teams and other teams responsible for responding to an accident or serious event
What you bring
- Four-year degree is required, strong preference in Emergency Management or similar
- 3+ years of experience in commercial, military, and/or private aviation emergency response planning
- Experience in Accident/Incident Investigation
- Project Management, Program Management, supervisory, and/or training experience
- Accident/incident Investigation experience
- Training Delivery/Development
- Knowledge of FAA and NTSB regulations
- Accomplished facilitator and leader and class room instructor
- Skilled writer and proof reader
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain strong professional relationships internally and externally with leadership and frontline
- Must be comfortable with travelling on short notice
- Self-motivated and dedicated, with the ability to work independently
- Training NTSB Aviation Investigation is preferred
- Training in NTSB Family Assistance Program Disaster management is preferred
- Community Emergency Response (CERT) is preferred
- NTSB Disaster Response is preferred
*The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.