It’s a great time to be part of the SES team
We are the world’s leading satellite operator with over 70 satellites in two different orbits, Geostationary Orbit (GEO) and Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). We provide a diverse range of customers with global video distribution and data connectivity services through two business units: SES Video and SES Networks. Our global team works collaboratively to make a significant, and often life-changing difference in the world. As part of our team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision. At SES, we connect and enable broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers, and enrich the lives of billions of people worldwide.
Engineer, Data Management
Luxembourg – Betzdorf
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The position is responsible for operationalizing the most-urgent data and analytics initiatives for SES, covering all process domains and business units. The main part of the activities will consist of building, managing and optimizing the data warehouse and the connecting data pipelines and implementing changes effectively into production following the Scrum framework. This includes ensuring compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving and operationalizing these integrated and reusable data pipelines. The main aim is to ensure faster data access, data reuse and drastic improvement of time-to-delivery for any data and analytics initiatives.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS
- Architect, create and maintain data pipelines from development to production through all stages of the data flow, starting from data sources or endpoints of acquisition to integration over to regular consumption to achieve results for our mission critical data management and business intelligence function
- Drive automation by using innovative and modern tools, techniques and architectures to partially or entirely automate the most-common, repeatable and tedious data preparation and integration tasks to minimize manual and error-prone processes and improve productivity
- Assist with renewing the data management infrastructure to drive automation in data integration and management such as learning and using modern data preparation, integration and potentially AI-enabled metadata management tools and techniques
- Collaborate across departments to work with various stakeholders within the organisation especially with business data analyst and data science teams in refining their data requirements for their data & analytics initiatives and general data consumption
- Be curious and knowledgeable about new data initiatives and requirements and how to address them by proposing appropriate and innovative data ingestion, preparation, integration and operationalization techniques
- Train peers and counterparts such as data scientists and advanced data analysts in data pipelining and preparation techniques, to support self-service capabilities and make it easier to integrate and consume the data
- Ensure that the data users and consumers use the data responsibly and work with data governance teams and participate in vetting and promoting content created in the business to the curated data catalogue for governed reuse
- Promote the available data and analytics capabilities and expertise to business unit leaders and educate them in leveraging these capabilities in achieving their business goals
- Perform all other tasks in the area of expertise as required
- Self-motivated and able to deal well with ambiguity and rapidly changing priorities; ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrates a customer-focused business led approach to application and system development
- Works autonomously as well as within the team spirit
- Strong and proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills: good listener, ability to understand perspective of others, to work effectively at all levels of the organisation
- Ability to liaise with management
- Ability to interpret complex technical issues and communicate the business value of IT standards and structured approach
- Good business acumen
- High level of integrity and work ethic
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree / College Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent, coupled with professional vocational training and qualifications
- Minimum of seven years’ relevant experience in data warehousing, business intelligence, data modelling, or related fields
- Minimum five years of professional experience working with SAP especially SAP HANA and SAP BW
- Experience in managing, manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets from multiple sources
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, especially agile methodologies, coding standards, build processes, testing, and operations
- Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
- General knowledge of SQL-based technologies required
- General knowledge on Data Lake concepts and cloud technologies considered an advantage
- Fluency in English, any other language is considered as an asset
- Willingness to travel internationally
What’s in it for you?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you’ll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We’re proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
Good to know
SES is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity!