SES is the world-leading satellite operator. It provides reliable and secure satellite and ground communications solutions. We push for breakthroughs in connectivity and their impact for people worldwide.
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Looking for an energetic full-stack software engineer to development and maintain a Ground Control System (GCS) used for command and control to operation over 70 satellites. You will be responsible for specification, design, development and support of software applications and computer hardware used for real-time spacecraft control and management as well as offline tools to support engineering analysis. The position requires as well on-call remote support.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS
- Develop/maintain a satellite command and control system
- Develop/maintain a user interface to provide telemetry data, a visual representation of hardware, and a visual representation of system status in real-time
- Develop/maintain middleware technologies that interface with the user interface
- Develop/maintain the underlaying data source interfacing with the middleware technologies
- Work with an experienced team using agile methodologies
- Develop high-quality software requirements (user stories), designs and architectures for the Ground Control System
- Design and write software that addresses complex requirements, perform associated software unit testing and software integration.
- Propose and develop enhancements and requirements for new and existing applications.
- Have the ability to read and understand legacy baselines with little to no documentation
- Design user interfaces that lay on top of a layered architecture
- Execute performance engineering and optimization, proof of concept testing, deployment planning and acceptance testing.
- Configure, deploy and maintain workstations and servers at each of the geographically diverse operation centers.
- Define and build APIs for a layered architecture
- Maintain the existing software baselines by addressing software bug and software change requests
- Perform peer reviews, integration testing, and validation during the software development lifecycle
- Automate the development cycle via continuous integration
- Work with external vendors and internal operations staff to provide technical expertise
- Communicate progress and problems to management, estimate a lead project work schedules and anticipating and avoiding problems.
- Keep up-to-date with latest technologies
- Create technical documentation
- Satellite knowledge a plus
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology
- Expert level in one or more of the following programming languages (C#, C++, and/or JAVA)
- Expert level in Object Oriented Design (OOD)
- Single responsibility principle
- Dependency injection
- Design/code to interfaces
- Expert level experience in middleware technologies (ie Kafka, Mulesoft, ActiveMQ, ZeroMQ, DDS, sockets)
- Expert level experience in data storage and retrieval (IBM Event Store, IBM Streams, MySQL, Percona, MS SQL Server, etc)
- Understanding of Unit Testing and GUI testing technologies
- Web performance testing. Load time, Load and stress testing
- Understanding of Software Architecture Patterns (i.e. client server, layered. Etc.)
- At least 5 years software engineering experience
- Understanding of software quality management
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Experience with GIT and/or BitBucket
- Experience with Integrated Development Environment (IDE) (ie Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc)
- Experience in utilities programming, debuggers and debugging techniques
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with TCP/IP protocols and messaging applications
- Work independently as well as in a team
- Easiness to communicate at all levels
- Fluency in spoken and written English
OTHER KEY REQUIREMENTS / COMMENTS
- Work with cross discipline teams such as spacecraft engineering and spacecraft operations
- Ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Work on an iterative basis with stakeholders during design and prototyping
- Relentless focus on collaboration and teamwork
- Work with remote management and team members
- Proven mindset of helping others to succeed/mentoring
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- For US based positions: must be US Citizen or Green Card Holder
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you’ll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We’re proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
GOOD TO KNOW
SES and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. In conformity with U.S. Government technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and/or other applicable U.S. law, regulation or other requirements imposed by the U.S. Government, certain positions may require U.S. Citizenship, status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a “protected individual” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligibility to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.