The MDA facility in Brampton, Ontario has supported human spaceflight for the past 30+ years through the design and operational support of space robotics systems such as Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, and Canadarm2 and Dextre on the International Space Station. In addition, this site develops rover technology for Mars missions, space-borne sensors for planetary exploration missions, as well as a multitude of terrestrial spin-offs for medical robotics and nuclear power plant operations. MDA is currently exploring future opportunities in areas such as AI-based robotics for Lunar Gateway (the next international space station, which will orbit the moon), on-orbit satellite servicing, and next-generation space missions.
MDA is currently seeking an Engineer to act as a systems engineer across a variety of commercial space robotics programs at MDA’s Robotics and Automation division in Brampton.
As a systems engineer, the candidate will:
- Assist in the definition of the top-level system requirements, based upon the user/customer needs and other constraints.
- Establish requirements that are consistent, complete, correct, traceable, and operationally defined.
- Assist with updating and maintaining performance models and error budgets to ensure that adequate design margins are provisioned to the design team.
- Perform cost-benefit analyses to determine whether requirements are best met by operator, software, or hardware functions.
- Assess multiple design alternatives based upon all identified constraints (cost, schedule, space, power, safety, mass, usability, reliability, maintainability, availability) and select the most suitable options for further design.
- Assess system and subsystem level design trade-offs to optimize design by partitioning large systems into (successive layers of) subsystems and components.
- Identify issue/risks to the program and assess the impact to project cost & schedule.
- Generate alternative plans for the mitigation of project issues/risks.
- Develop/recommend processes and technology improvements that will reduce either cost and/or schedule.
- Participate in internal team reviews and formal reviews with customer
- Interface with other disciplines as required, including manufacturing, procurement, production control, quality assurance, and program management.
Interested candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Systems Engineering. Five (5) years of post-graduate professional experience in a similar position are required. Knowledge of robotic systems, and operations analysis is an asset. Familiarity with Matlab/Simulink and Unix-based operating systems would also be a benefit.
Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position. All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please feel free to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.