Blue Origin is empowered by a vision where millions of people are living and working in space. To achieve our vision, we are developing reusable rocket engines and launch vehicles that will dramatically lower the cost of access to space. Driven by our motto, Gradatim Ferociter or “step by step, ferociously,” our incremental approach builds upon each success as we develop ground-breaking spaceflight systems. We don’t just build rockets—we build a culture around methodical innovation and exploration.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will perform systems engineering assignments requiring a wide application of advanced systems engineering principles, theories and concepts plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines. You will need to possess a passion for mission assurance, a commitment to the fundamentals of system safety, and a strong capacity to work collaboratively on complex and interesting new problems. In this role, you will assist the Blue Engines team with Failure Modes Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA), Fault Tree Assessments (FTAs), Hazardous Operations (HAZOP) documents, and Range Safety Reviews also known as Hazard Assessment Reviews (HARs). In addition to system safety, you will also need to understand the basic concepts of systems engineering and occasionally help with verification, requirements, and other systems engineering tasks. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Implement and maintain system safety processes and identify continuous improvement opportunities
- Be the point of contact for all systems safety related questions on program
- Actively participate in engine architecture and design decisions to drive reliability into the engine design
- Identify major drivers in engine reliability and develop design solutions or test plans to improve reliability of those features
- Work with systems engineering and subsystem responsible engineers to identify and verify compliance with system safety requirements
- Evaluate and perform reviews of system safety analyses including FHAs, FMECAs, FTAs
- Perform compliance assessment of our system safety processes and products against external standards including Range Safety, NASA, FAA, MIL-STD-882, or ARP-4761
- Participate in actively maintaining a healthy system safety culture
- Integration and coordination of subsystems
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical, aerospace engineering
- 3+ years engineering experience in the aerospace industry with some experience with system safety or reliability engineering experience performing FHAs, FMEA/FMECAs, FTAs
- Possess a passion for system safety and mission assurance fundamentals
- Experience interpreting and assessing compliance to regulatory requirements and guidance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; strength in teaming and collaboration in a diverse work environment, self-starter
- Ability to identify problems, perform root cause analysis, and implement corrective actions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on rapid development programs
- Knowledge of systems engineering practices, integration processes, and mission/safety critical systems
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience performing compliance assessments and tailoring of FAA and Range Safety launch system requirements
- Experience with a variety of complex aerospace or launch vehicle systems
- Process ownership and maintenance experience
- Experience with requirements authoring, decomposition, analysis, traceability, and verification
- Experience with DOORS or other system requirement software equivalent
- Familiarity with rocket engine system operations, validation process and risks management
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.