Here's how we are building a vital Earth. For everyone.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
- The Data Processing Operations Director will work with stakeholders, scientists, engineers, and partners to lead the delivery of scientifically accurate and impactful data products for a global audience. The MethaneSAT science data processing is led by the Harvard-based science team who are delivering the science data processing algorithms, processes, and software to generate the MethaneSAT data products. MethaneSAT, LLC is responsible for providing the cloud architecture and services for executing the science data product operations, as well as managing the end data products for the various user communities.
- Working across several organizations, both internal and external, this position will strive to understand problems, build solutions and guide the MethaneSAT team in delivering timely and meaningful data products. The Data Processing Operations Director will own and drive the roadmap for science data processing operations and deliverables, incorporating stakeholder needs, engineering assessments and analysis of system performance into their prioritization. This position will report directly to the Sr. Director, Mission Systems for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, partners, and EDF staff.
The Data Processing Operations Director will be responsible for the following:
- Lead the MethaneSAT efforts on data processing, testing, optimization and execution working alongside our scientists and engineers.
- Work closely with the engineering and science teams to guide development of the capabilities to operationalize the MethaneSAT data processing, taking the system from individualized, human-intensive processing steps into an automated production pipeline.
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the MethaneSAT data processing effort and capture, prioritize and manage issues during processing operations, and ensure the timely and accurate delivery of data products.
- Participate in stakeholder engagements, including demonstrating our Data Processing Operations and presenting our roadmap and facilitating data product evolution, in collaboration with the MethaneSAT team.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
To accomplish these, the Data Processing Operations Director will provide the overall leadership for data processing operations to include:
- Working closely with the Science Team, Engineering Leads, EDF Advocacy and stakeholders to navigate differing demands and priorities to build and execute against a detailed data product roadmap.
- Collaborating effectively with varied stakeholders to identify ongoing needs for data processing operations tools and performance improvements and distilling these into technical requirements for the engineering and science teams.
- Ensuring all teams are aligned and are working to a common set of data processing goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical discipline, or equivalent experience required. MS in a science or technical discipline preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in satellite science data processing with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Extensive experience with executing data processing for varying product types (such as imagery and spectra), and audiences (scientists, managers, and the public) is required.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Some software development experience is a nice-to-have.
- Excellent communication skills are a must with the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences. Presentation skills and experience presenting to both internal and external groups are required.
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence, and lead others.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and develop new partnerships.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace