Building a better future together
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Senior Director Modelling, Mapping and Analytics will play a key role in the leadership of the Economics and Global Climate Policy group and report to the Chief Economist. They will lead a team of analytical staff and partner with EDF teams and external partners working to:
- Model and map impacts of policy and other interventions on people’s well-being including impacts on specific groups of particular concern
- Work with, and where necessary, build, local, national or global integrated natural-human system models to inform priorities for policy and intervention and guide effective implementation
- Build and support policy simulation models to assess, support and evaluate interventions
- Provide specific analysis to support advocacy in timely way
- Communicate modelling processes and modelling results to non-specialists
- Manage and build a strong team of analysts ranging from experienced PhD modelers to junior analysts
- Collaborate effectively across the matrixed organization to ensure that high quality modelling practices and models are used throughout EDF
- Develop and support implementation of a multi-year, organization-wide work plan designed to make EDF a recognized leader in the use of modelling to inform policy design and implementation globally
- Develop and manage external partnerships with globally excellent collaborators (Current collaborators include: Princeton, Catholic University – Chile, University of Hawaii, University of the Andes – Colombia, Cornell)
- Partner with the Communications team to ensure that work is sensitively and effectively communicated to support EDF goals
- Leverage deep modelling and analytical expertise to contribute to and co-create innovative policy approaches and solutions
- Serve as resource and strategic partner for EDF teams and partners working on policy-relevant modelling in the U.S. and globally
- Develop and maintain key internal and external relationships with individuals and entities working on policy-relevant modelling
- Ensure timely and concise communications to key supporters and collaborators, including donors, external partners, and the EDF executive team
- Manage consultants and staff, as appropriate
- Advance EDF Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
- PhD in economics or closely related discipline
- At least 12 years of relevant work experience
- Outstanding experience outside academia in development and use of advanced analytical tools for policy, advocacy and/or corporate action for public good
- Demonstrated commitment, interest, and competency with equity and justice and DEIJ principles
- Ability to work collaboratively, including across disciplines, and drive an independent work portfolio
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Extensive experience and expertise with climate policy with a focus on price-based approaches preferred
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, to convincingly advocate and fundraise for EDF’s small scale fisheries initiatives
- Experience managing staff or consultants and a demonstrated commitment to mentorship
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.