ESR Technology is a leading Science and Engineering services company working within the energy, process plant, utilities, rail, aviation and space industries. We are seeking highly motivated and technically able staff to join our successful safety and risk consultancy team, working on technically challenging projects for industrial clients. We need confident, capable staff who can help us grow our business and develop robust client relationships.
- Do you hold an HND or degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering, or a similar engineering discipline, with minimum 2 years industrial experience post-graduation.
- Interested in supporting a diverse customer base in the testing and development of their products and technologies for space or vacuum applications?
- Able to take responsibility for all aspects of commercial and R&D test projects – from working hands-on in cleanroom to analysing data, writing first class technical reports and presenting confidently to demanding clients?
- Do you want a varied, challenging and satisfying career working within an internationally renowned team?
ESR Technology is a leading Science and Engineering services company providing independent and specialist technical consultancy, products and services to the Oil & Gas, Space, Industrial and Transport markets. We are seeking two highly motivated and technically able Test Engineers to join our Space Group . This group encompasses our successful spacecraft mechanism development/assembly team and the research team which runs the European Space Tribology Laboratory (ESTL) on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA). These vacancies are within the team which operates ESTL. We need confident, capable staff who take responsibility for their work, have excellent communication skills and want to work on technically challenging projects for international clients.
These are early to mid-career positions within the Space Group which provides specialist scientific and engineering support to clients in both space and terrestrial markets. Activities include support to commercial R&D including liaison with colleagues/clients to identify project scope, all aspects of project delivery (test facility and test specification, commissioning, test execution, analysis, and reporting of results) supporting major international space and science programmes as well as the growing commercial space and terrestrial vacuum markets. Clients include ESA and spacecraft and vacuum mechanism/equipment developers and research organisations. Projects vary in size from weeks or months duration up to longer term multi-year projects.
The successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate or ultimately to acquire specialist knowledge in the field of tribology, the execution of tribological tests and the necessary skills for the effective execution of and communication of research activities in the context of space or vacuum applications. However, equally important will be a sound and broad-based engineering background to enable the effective use of existing technical knowledge to work hands-on, with support as needed, to deliver all aspects of the R&D activities with which they will be tasked.
The abilities both to plan work and take responsibility for its completion within a small team and a commercial R&D environment are essential. This requires the employee to understand internal or external customer requirements, use their specific technical expertise to contribute to the outcomes from a multi-disciplinary team and ultimately to become responsible for timely and cost-effective task and work package delivery.
You will be located at our modern offices in Warrington, working mainly within our laboratory/cleanroom, but also carrying out desk-based activities and liaising with clients and suppliers from time to time. Some occasional travel may be required to visit clients, suppliers, and other project partners both within the UK and internationally. Depending on the background of the successful candidate, the role will provide opportunities for training in aspects of space tribology, vacuum practices, and other technical and interpersonal skills as required.
The successful candidates will need to be self-motivated, able to prioritise work and learn quickly whilst working alongside experienced colleagues. It is essential that the candidate is:
- Technically strong with an enquiring mind, a creative problem-solver willing to learn and to contribute effectively
- Willing to own and perform hands-on tasks in a laboratory/cleanroom environment from start to finish to a very high standard.
- Ability to work to dedicated process or test procedures as required.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and feedback progress and problem areas alike with support from experienced staff.
- An excellent communicator (both written and verbal) able to contribute to analysis and written reporting of test results.
- Be sociable and a team player
The following skills would be of benefit:
- Some tribological knowledge, background or experience
- Experience of assembly/commissioning test facilities (e.g., mechanical assembly, drives and controllers, instrumentation/data acquisition and/or control software preparation, calibration, and validation of data).
- Experience working with high vacuum equipment/systems.
- A good working knowledge, experience or background in ball bearings, gears or other tribological components.
- Some experience in working within an ISO9001/ISO9100 quality management system
Qualifications An HND or degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or a related discipline.
Travel Requirement Occasional UK and International travel.
Employment Category: Full time (37.5 hours/week)
Salary/Benefits: Competitive salary, with excellent benefits including 25 days’ annual leave plus statutory holidays, additional leave purchase, up to 8% matched pension contribution, health care, life assurance and more
Right to Work
Prospective candidates for this role should be aware that any offer of employment in connection with this vacancy is conditional upon, and subject to the candidate obtaining, and at all times continuing to have, the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
If you are passionate about delivering outstanding value to our clients and our business, then this could be the role for you.
Write with full CV, Reference: SPA007 what you can contribute in this diverse and interesting role