The European Union Satellite Centre (EU SatCen) is the agency of the European Union (EU) that supports the EU's decision-making in the field of the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), including crisis management missions and operations, by providing products and services resulting from the exploitation of relevant space assets and collateral data, including satellite and aerial imagery, and related services.
The IT Support Officer reports to the System Administrator/Manager and is mainly responsible for the smooth running of computer systems and ensuring users get maximum benefits from them.
Specific tasks include:
- Provide IT support to any activity specific to the implementation of the SEA Delegation Agreement;
- Support in the administration and deployments of the specific IT systems necessary for the SEA Delegation Agreements (Server Administration and Deployment);
- Support the distribution of SEA products to Authorized Users according to SEA distribution policies;
- Provide Help Support services to the specific IT systems.
- Installing and configuring computer hardware, operating systems and applications;
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks;
- Talking staff or clients through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the telephone, to help set up systems or resolve issues;
- Troubleshooting system and network problems, diagnosing, and solving hardware or software faults;
- Replacing parts as required;
- Providing support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports;
- Supporting the rollout of new applications;
- Setting up new users’ accounts and profiles and dealing with password issues;
- Prioritising and managing many open cases at one time;
- Rapidly establishing a good working relationship with users;
- Performing additional duties as directed by the Head of Division.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Secondary education with post-secondary studies preferably in the field of Computer science and in Informatics Systems;
- A minimum of 4 years professional experience in IT systems administration.
- Knowledge of directory services as Microsoft Active Directory and Microsoft networks technologies;
- Experience on virtualization and clustering technologies as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMWare;
- Knowledge of security environments and level 7 firewalls;
- Experience on Microsoft SQL Server management;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), desirable;
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint and site developing techniques, desirable;
- Experience on networking including routers, reverse proxies and Internet protocols;
- Experience on storage technologies as NAS and SAN, desirable;
- Knowledge of PowerShell and other scripting languages, desirable;
- Knowledge of monitoring systems (e.g. Splunk), desirable;
- Experience on fixing and troubleshooting hardware and changing parts;
- Strong drafting and communication skills in English both orally and in writing, at least at the level C1; knowledge of another EU language would be an asset.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Excellent time management skills, able to prioritise, work well under pressure or with tight deadlines;
- Strong drafting and communication skills in English both orally and in writing, at least at the level C1; knowledge of another EU language would be an asset;
- Good sense of initiative and responsibility is required as well as a dynamic attitude, very hands-on oriented, problem-solver and the ability to collaborate and work in a team.
- Nationality of an E.U. Member State.
- Security Clearance to at least SECRET UE, or equivalent. In case the successful candidate is not in possession of such a clearance, the EU SatCen will request it, but no appointment will be fully confirmed until it has been received.
- Stress resistant and good state of health.
- Driving license.
- Employment at EU SatCen is governed by the EU SatCen Staff Regulations.
- This post is graded B3-B6 of the Coordinated Organisations salary scale. Recruitment will normally be set at Grade B4, step 1.
- Initial appointments are made for a maximum duration of four years with possibility of renewal.
- Posting is at EU SatCen, Torrejón de Ardoz (Madrid) Spain.