The European Union Satellite Centre (EU SatCen) is the agency of the European Union (EU) that supports the EU's decision-making in the field of the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), including crisis management missions and operations, by providing products and services resulting from the exploitation of relevant space assets and collateral data, including satellite and aerial imagery, and related services.
The Image Analyst is responsible to the Operations Manager under the guidance of the Team Leader. Particular duties include:
- Performing imagery/data manipulation, processing and enhancement as required (pansharpening, ortho-rectification, colour balancing, mosaicking), in consultation with IAs to meet their needs;
- Consulting and identifying horizontal & vertical reference, gathering and integrating spatial data from internal or external sources;
- Provide robust, accurate and timely data using all forms of available imagery and collateral data;
- Performing preliminary quality checks of prepared data and ensuring that they are in accordance with the SATCEN standards and Procedures;
- Updating the internal raster catalogues, and relevant databases;
- Translate IAs requests in imagery requirements, place orders and communicate with imagery providers, update status in relevant DBs and follow progress through to completion with consequent reporting;
- Participating in the optimisation/definition of methodologies and working procedures;
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Team Leader and/or Operations Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Postsecondary education or equivalent qualification;
- Up to 5 years of professional experience is required;
- Appropriate professional experience in Remote Sensing – Photogrammetry with some GIS background and have a minimum of three years’ work experience using PCI Geomatica, Erdas LPS – ERMapper, ESRI GIS (ArcGIS) software and Global Mapper;
- Proven knowledge of geographic (geo-processing) and cartographic principles (projections and datums);
- Proven experience of digital imagery processing and analysis using optical and/or non-optical sensors;
- Thorough knowledge of one EU language and a good knowledge of English.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Strong organisational & database management skills;
- Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently without supervision;
- Excellent team worker with good interpersonal skills;
- Good time management skills;
- Ability to work on multiple projects, set priorities, and meet strict deadlines;
- Works well under pressure;
- Perform repetitive work without losing effectiveness and interest.
- Nationality of an E.U. Member State;
- Security Clearance to at least SECRET UE, or equivalent. In case the successful candidate is not in possession of such a clearance, the EU SatCen will request it, but no appointment will be fully confirmed until it has been received;
- Stress resistant and in a good state of health
- Driving license.
- The contract offered will have an expiry date of 31 December 2021 (inclusive) with the possibility for renewal if funding for the UNSMIL mission is available.
- Employment at EU SatCen is governed by the SatCen Staff Regulations;
- This post is graded B3/B6 of the Coordinated Organizations salary scale. Recruitment will normally be set at Grade B3, step 1.
- Posting is at EU SatCen, Torrejón de Ardoz (Madrid) Spain;
- The selected candidate will be required to start as soon as possible.
Data protection policy
The Satcen collects and processes all personal data in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) No 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC (the ‘EU Data Protection Regulation’)..
Although you can browse through SatCen web pages without giving any information about yourself, in some cases, personal information is required in order to apply to a vacancy notice. The purpose of processing of the data you submit is to manage your application(s) in view of a possible pre-selection and recruitment at the Agency.
Ref 2020/V20/IA DPO