The European Union Satellite Centre (EU SatCen) is the agency of the European Union (EU) that supports the EU's decision-making in the field of the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), including crisis management missions and operations, by providing products and services resulting from the exploitation of relevant space assets and collateral data, including satellite and aerial imagery, and related services.
Responsible to the Director and Deputy Director for the management of the Operations Division and in particular for the design, development, operation and improvement of the resources, procedures and systems that form the division. Furthermore, supports the Director by providing an operational view of the functioning of SatCen and advise on the development, modification and implementation of policies on operational activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises the Operations Managers and all units of the Division with their support,
- Is responsible for ensuring the quality of the products, provided by the Division, and the delivery of the services in the time given,
- Allocates the resources of the Division to meet SatCen programme priorities,
- Leads the development of the Division and provides strategic direction based on SatCen Mission and long-term trajectory,
- Performs risk management and contingency planning, including financial projections based on operational expenditure,
- Is responsible for the strategic communication of operational aspects, including business development, requirements acquisition and management of partnerships with providers, stakeholders and users,
- Drives the innovation and continuous improvement process of the Division,
- Supervises the imagery analysis training programme and the professional development of the Division staff,
- Performs any other duty as assigned by the Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A university degree in the field of geospatial and imagery analysis attested by a diploma or equivalent qualification;
- An appropriate professional experience in IMINT and/or GEOINT of at least 16 years;
- Management experience in a comparable organization of at least 5 years;
- Experience in support to EU Missions and Operations as well as in support to other international organisations;
- Excellent knowledge of SatCen’s fields of expertise, including analysis of military installations, equipment and activity; humanitarian response; migration monitoring; weapons of mass destruction; treaty verification; and general security surveillance;
- Solid knowledge of remote sensing and geospatial analysis principles, including digital image processing and sensor technology;
- Experience in evaluation and analysis of imagery and mission requirements;
- Good IT skills (MS Office);
- Thorough knowledge of one EU language and an excellent knowledge of English.
- Solid working knowledge of image analysis software (Eternix Blaze, ERDAS Imagine, ER Mapper, PCI Geomatica, ENVI) and of GIS software (ESRI ArcGIS, GeoMedia).
- Postgraduate degree in the field of business administration or business management attested by a diploma or equivalent qualification;
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Excellent leadership skills and responsibility, delegation, team management and coaching skills;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Good planning, organization and time management skills;
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality; strong ethics and diplomacy;
- Excellent influencing/negotiating skills;
- Good change and stress management skills;
- Ability to think strategically.
- Readiness for atypical working hours and on-call availability.
- Nationality of an E.U. Member State;
- Security Clearance to at least SECRET UE, or equivalent. In case the successful candidate is not in possession of such a clearance, the EU SatCen will request it, but no appointment will be fully confirmed until it has been received;
- Stress resistant and good state of health;
- Driving licence.
- Employment at EU SatCen is governed by the EU SatCen Staff Regulations;
- This post is graded A5 of the Coordinated Organisations salary scale. Recruitment will normally be set at Grade A5, step 1.
- Posting is at EU SatCen, Torrejón de Ardoz (Madrid) Spain;
- The selected candidate will be required to start 1 January 2021.
Data protection policy
The Satcen collects and processes all personal data in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) No 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC (the ‘EU Data Protection Regulation’)..
Although you can browse through SatCen web pages without giving any information about yourself, in some cases, personal information is required in order to apply to a vacancy notice. The purpose of processing of the data you submit is to manage your application(s) in view of a possible pre-selection and recruitment at the Agency.
It shall be processed solely for the purposes of the recruitment exercise. Should the Applicant have any queries concerning the processing of his/her personal data, these can be addressed to the delegated controller of the data in Human Resources or to the Data Protection Officer.
For any question regarding the recruitment process of the SatCen: firstname.lastname@example.org