EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide. EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users. As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)
QUALIFICATIONS University degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French.
In the EUMETSAT matrix organisation, the Process Assurance and Management Support (PRS) division of the Technical and Scientific Support (TSS) department provides project control and other management support services to all EUMETSAT programmes.
Under a Copernicus-dedicated programme, EUMETSAT operates four Copernicus Sentinel missions (Sentinel-3, -4, -5 and -6) on behalf of the European Union, all dedicated to the monitoring of the ocean and atmospheric composition, and prepares for a future CO2 monitoring mission.
As a member of the Copernicus project control team reporting to the PRS Competence Area Manager for Project Planning and Control, the Copernicus Project Controller provides project planning and control support to the Copernicus Programme Manager. This includes cost and budget planning and control, human resource planning, progress, performance and financial reporting.
- Implement the EUMETSAT project planning and control and financial reporting processes and their tailoring to Copernicus, in liaison with the Copernicus Finance Coordinator;
- Establish medium and long-term Human Resource needs for Copernicus activities, consolidate the corresponding Human Resources planning and maintain the associated data;
- Prepare and coordinate budget and long-term financial planning inputs for Copernicus activities with involved departments;
- Monitor and re-assess periodically the execution of the Copernicus budget, provide financial forecasts and maintain the Cost-At-Completion;
- Analyse cost margins, establish and maintain cost baseline and related cost scenarios;
- Prepare and consolidate the financial inputs to annual Copernicus Work Programmes, periodical Copernicus financial reports; and coordinate inputs to the Procurement Plans.
- Ensure conformity of the relevant administrative working practices with applicable EC requirements, EUMETSAT standards and plans, and report to management any issue requiring attention or resolution.
Support the Copernicus Programme Manager on:
- Selected management matters related to project planning and control;
- Interfacing with the European Commission on project planning and control related matters and financial reporting, in accordance with governing agreements.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Sound experience in project control and financial reporting, preferably in a project-oriented environment dealing with peaks of high volume activity;
- Relevant experience in working with public funded projects;
- Proven knowledge and practice of administrative processes based on integrated financial system (e.g. SAP);
- Excellent interpersonal skills combined with a proven ability to apply these to working within, and across, teams.
The initial contract will be of 4 years’ duration, with subsequent 5 year contracts being awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63 and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
This post is graded A2/A4 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 5,797 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable on the basis of skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT web site.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited on the basis of their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.